Which gateway?

Hi,

Right now I have the following on order:

Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Managed PoE+ Gigabit 8 Port Switch with SFP (150 W)

Gen 2+ Cloud Key (I am planing on adding some cameras)

2 x NanoHD APs.

I have a Netgear R8000 router that I am currently using & thinking about using in place of the USG for now.

Would you suggest I keep with the Netear for now & then replace it at a later stage once I have a better understanding of my reuirements. I see some fairly negative review regarding the USG.

Or would I be better off just going with the USG for now and upgrading if needed in the future?

Thanks!

Kudos: 55
Solutions: 13

Re: Which gateway?

There’s no right or wrong way to do it....especially if this is a home set up...it’s easy to do in stages, which is what I done...only because of budget reasons I couldn’t afford to do it all in one go. 

I’m now a complete UniFi setup at home that started in December 2016 with the AP-AC-Pro then in August 2017 I added the US-8-60w switch, two weeks after that I got the USG3, then in August 2018 I added a US-8 switch, a few weeks after that I had a major wiring overhaul and added the US-24 switch as the core switch for the house, then in December 2018 added an AP-AC-Lite for improved WiFi coverage/speeds for upstairs. 

At every stage I have not had any problems, everything just works perfectly with only a few visual oddities in what the controller shows visually.....speaking of controller, I was using a Mac mini as the controller up until last week when I changed that to the cloud key gen2 plus....as I’m going to add cameras to the network this year. 

[ Edited ]

Oh and another thing.....this is my opinion and mine only for this comment, but I don’t think I would buy the nanoHD due to the number of problems that are reported around these threads....and the fact that everything in this house that has an Ethernet port is wired up to a switch....so that just leaves all the portable devices like phones, tablets and laptops etc for WiFi, and of these only 1 of them has a 3x3 radio in it (my MacBook Pro) and even that is not used for heavy bandwidth tasks. So the AP-AC-lite or the AP-AC-Pro would be my goto AP’s of choice. 

Not or saying that everyone has issues with the NanoHD, just seems to be a lot more reported issues with that AP than anything else. 

Kudos: 2211
Solutions: 640

Hello @kerednai,

Welcome to the community!

If you really want to change it you can, it's not required. ( personally like the USGs and EdgeRouters )

How much bandwidth do you have?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hi @AmazedMender16,

My ISP currently supplies up to 120 Mbps

Thanks

Hi @malcky,

Thanks for your input. I took a bit of a risk on the nanoHD I know. From what I could tell most of the issues are in the 2.4Ghz band which I don't really use so figured it was an OK risk to tke. It's too late to cancel now so I guess I'm going to give it a go.

How do you like the USG-3? Any regrets not going with the pro or something else?

Thanks!

@kerednai

I have no regrets getting the USG3 in the slightest....I am in the UK and can only get 80/20 connection where I live so the USG3 is way more than up to the task of handling that, I only have a couple of simple firewall rules set up and DPI is enabled and only 1 LAN network and 1 WLAN configured so it’s a very simple home setup. 

The most important selling feature for me was that it was fanless. 

Hello @kerednai,

USG3 would be enough for you.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

Thanks @malcky & @AmazedMender16

Thinking this though the one nice to have, which I think will turn into a requirement soon is to prioritize a work network over the household network. Both my wife and I work from home and video conference a lot and I don't want the kids gaming and TV streaming to affect our throughput if possible. With that in mind would you still go for the USG-3?

I don't have QoS setup on my Netgear today because of the perceived overhead it adds.

I assume I can create a seperate VLAN for work and home and then prioritise one over the other? If so that would certainly be a reason to go with the USG-3 over my current Netgear. But with that said I haven't looked into this and I'm not sure if this extra overhead on the USG-3 is even worth the benefit. Any thoughts or pointers to good documentation on this topic would be apprechiated. As I said I haven't even looked into this yet, so I may be completely off base here.

Cheers,

Ian 

Hello @kerednai,

You can only enable or disable Smart Queues.

I would recommend limiting your kids with a user group on the SSID.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

@AmazedMender16

That would be fine if the kids stuff is all on wifi......if any or all of it is wired then another option would be needed.

I personally have not set up any kind of traffic management in my home set up, so would have no clue which would be the best way to get that done???

Hello @malcky,

Just a guess as most kids are only using WiFi and barely use a ethernet cable... Honestly you don’t need Smart Queues on a 120Mbps line ( unless you’re pushing the line to the MAX at all times ).

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

All xbox's (4), smart TV's (3) & computers (3) in my kids rooms (and the lounge for that matter, seeing as im a big kid too...lol) are all hooked up via cat6 cable.....so the only devices that use wifi in my house are phones, ipads, laptops & a printer......none of which hog a lot of bandwidth to cause issues to anyone else.

In my house the most obvious bandwidth hoggers are when there is an update on any of the xbox games, or if downloading a new game...then after that it would be when I watch a 4k thing on the apple tv...which have seen (according to the controller) go up to about 35Mbps.....then settles down to about 20Mbps.

Hello @malcky,

You could use egress rate limit on the switchport of these devices.

Devices > USW > Ports > Port 1 > Enable egress rate limit

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Thanks @AmazedMender16 that is good to know if I ever need it.

I am lucky in the sense that all these bandwidth hogging things are not all the time, and the times when it does happen it does not give others any grief as its not all done at once.

I say my line is up to 120 Mbps because its quite often much lower. It tends to be between the range 60 and 100 most of the time. That said it should still be plenty and theoretically means I shouldn't require any QoS. Its more for peace of mind. The majority of heavy hoggers that I would like to limit are hard wired so I'll have to take a look at the egress limit - thanks @AmazedMender16

Hello @kerednai,

You’re welcome, I believe it limits down and up.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

would not waste any money on the non pro model.  

@rforrest - there is a huge difference in price. What am I gaining with the pro?

@rforrest

I would love to hear your reasons for such a short statement.

I have used one for over a year and never once has it caused me bother......but I do have a simple home network as mentioned before though.