Which unifi is right

I have a 3,600 sq ft home and have horriable wifi speeds through out. Looking to do a unifi setup, the whole house is wird with Cat5e and have open lines in the attic that can be connected. All wires come to a smart panel where I will need a new 25 port switch so any suggestions there would help to. I have 1 gigabit speed from Comcast and want to the the system right. Any suggestions or should I be looking at a home mesh system link linksys. The whole home is a smart home so there are a lot of active devices wired and wireless on the network.
Kudos: 72
Solutions: 9

Re: Which unifi is right

If you have cable, don't do mesh.

Couple of AP's, wire 'em in, provision to the controller. 

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 2

I have a similar situation and have my locations mostly wired. I would use a "roaming" network which would be a set of AP or routers all setup on the same SSID (that's what unifi is). I do have still locations which are not wired and in this case could use a mesh. If you want to go unifi, go for the AC HD as it is the only one with "modern" hardware and processing capability. If cost is a concern and speed is not a priority, the AC lite is a good choice. It will offer good coverage for most devices which have 2x2 cards. The AC-LR is ok, offering an extra 2.4GHz channel but the AC-Pro and all the variants of it (Pro-M) are underwhelming as they don't have the processing power to transmit at the speed their radios are designed for and in practive are no better than the AC-lite.

•pfSense and unifi controller on VM
•US-XG-16 •USW-24Pro
•US-8 •2x US-8-150
•2x UAP-AC-HD •1x UAP-AC-SHD •1x UAP-AC-XG
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1275
Solutions: 208

[ Edited ]

sharky77 got two things wrong: The AC-HD is not very suitable for a home, and the AC-Pro does have more CPU power than AC-Lite/AC-LR. However, if you own one or more 3x3 MIMO devices, then the AC-HD can indeed give you noticable more speed with regard to your 1 Gbps uplink; most of the time this does not really matter in a home, though.

How money levels does your home have that you wish to cover? UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-IW are the most common candidates for this type of setup.

As for the switch there are many options: Do you want/need PoE, VLAN, UniFi integration? Are you planning on keeping your router, and would you want to use a USG instead? UniFi switches integrate nicely, are restricted with regard to their feature set and in general not the most cost effect solution - but nice if you go UniFi all the way.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

AC pro is exactly the same platform as lite/lr, only difference is the radio and two wired uplinks. see here

Personally i wouldnt spend so much on HD. Just buy some ac lites and when 802.11ax devices hit the market, replace them with those. Should be a couple of years at most.

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 2

@ub40 wrote:

sharky77 got two things wrong: The AC-HD is not very suitable for a home, and the AC-Pro does have more CPU power than AC-Lite/AC-LR. However, if you own one or more 3x3 MIMO devices, then the AC-HD can indeed give you noticable more speed with regard to your 1 Gbps uplink; most of the time this does not really matter in a home, though.

How money levels does your home have that you wish to cover? UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-IW are the most common candidates for this type of setup.

As for the switch there are many options: Do you want/need PoE, VLAN, UniFi integration? Are you planning on keeping your router, and would you want to use a USG instead? UniFi switches integrate nicely, are restricted with regard to their feature set and in general not the most cost effect solution - but nice if you go UniFi all the way.

The entire unifi outside of the HD is based on the Qualcomm Atheros. QCA9563. The PRO, the LR and the Lite all use the same identical CPU. It is an SOC. You could argue that the Pro has slightly more power because it delegates some of its tasks to the radio chip but in practice is negligible. I know there is a lot of hype around the pro but if you look around the forum, and having bought a 5 pack of pros myself, and after researching what was in the box, I realized that the hardware is underpowered for what it is supposed to do. I have attached the results of my own tests.

The only thing not suitable for home about the HD is the price...

•pfSense and unifi controller on VM
•US-XG-16 •USW-24Pro
•US-8 •2x US-8-150
•2x UAP-AC-HD •1x UAP-AC-SHD •1x UAP-AC-XG
Kudos: 1223
Solutions: 82

As others have stated, since the cables are already there, there is no need to go for a mesh.  Depending on how may WAP you endup using and how clean you like your setup, you may opt for a POE switch.

I also have a smartish home and I recently moved from Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) to UniFi hadware.  See my sig for my setup info.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8590
Solutions: 1436

[ Edited ]

This should be a fairly simple project, because you appear

to have cables wired to most every room. I can't give you

specifics, because you didn't post any details, but you

simply use a large number of these low-cost UniFi

access points to fill the need.

If you have 'horrible' results now, I suspect it is either

because you don't use enough access points, or you have

configured them poorly. For example, if you have them

all on the same channels, overlapping channels, or with

power at 'high', this can spell disaster. If you use the 2.4GHz

band and have close neighbors, that can mean interference.

I like the UAP-AC-LR for many scenarios, because it's a

good balance between cost and performance. If you can

afford the small increment, use UAP-AC-Pro instead.

'Mesh'--however you define it--has no place at all here.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Established Member
Kudos: 216
Solutions: 30

Do you have floor plans for your house? If you do upload high resolution scans of them and I can do a simulation to give you an idea of how many and what model AP's would be best. Use a marker and mark the rooms from 1 to 10  with 1 needing the best wifi and 10 not needing wifi at all, i.e. living room 1, basement media room 1, bedrooms 2, bathroom 10, closets 10, etc.

-Jamie M.

Kudos: 72
Solutions: 9

why is bathroom wifi lowest priority?
I want it to work well in there....

UAP-AC-HD looks to use dual AR8033 Ethernet phy chips not QCA8334
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 24

@Mule wrote:

If you have cable, don't do mesh.

100% agree. On the Ubiquiti "mesh" products, their Amplifi line, the satellite units can be wired. That may be true for other brands of "mesh" as well -- I've never looked.

There's a lot to be said for easy, set-and-forget management, which is another strength of the Amplifi products. I personally enjoyed setting up my home network and get a kick out of the statistics and tweaking options available with the Unifi and EdgeMax products. For others it may just be another chore and too much work.

-- Pete