Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

White screen when a guest is trying to log in?

we have the controller running on AWS.  The guest network has the portal enabled.  

On some (iphone at least) phones, we are noticing that you choose the guest SSID from the settings, wait a couple seconds and then a login screen comes up (the guest portal that we have enabled).  up at the top is an IP address... but the screen stays white.

Most devices get the full login screen with artwork in the back, the terms and the checkbox / I accept.

But some stay on the white screen.  I've seen it happen on my iphone 6S and an iphone 8 in the last few weeks, and with the latest ios on it.

I figure others are having the issue, we just haven't heard about it.

Any thoughts? 

On the iphone 8, we did a hard reset on the phone, closed all the browser tabs (in safari) and that SEEMED to fix it. On mine, I logged into the private network. But loads of other people don't have that option : )

THANKS!

Kudos: 3021
Solutions: 813

Re: White screen when a guest is trying to log in?

Hello @AntarServices,

Could you provide a bit more information?

Controller version?

Firmware versions?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was hoping this would be a more common / known issue.

The AWS controller is running 5.7.20 on aws

retrying this today and having the issue, I was in the room with a UAP AC Lite, firmware 3.9.27.8537  (would you say it's ok to upgrade to 3.9.42.9152?  I've had issues with upgrading previously - the upgrade software created problems and we didn't have issues with the previous version (don't remember what version we were at / went to... it was months ago).

When I chose the public wifi on the iphone, it spins, says no internet connection (in yellow) for a second under the SSID name then changes to 'unsecured network' under the SSID, with a check next to it (still on LTE).  Then after a couple seconds, a login page pops up - white page with 2 lines:

captive.apple.com

SSID name

after a couple more seconds, that changes to 

18.220.114.182  (the IP of the AWS instance running the Unifi controller

SSID name

Under that is

<  > Log In    Cancel

and nothing else even after 5 - 10 minutes.  Still on LTE.

OK.  I did the upgrade on this device's firmware to 3.9.42.9152 and retried things. I did get the login!

Was it the firmware upgrade?  

But that's 1 of 7 devices. The other 6 are AP-LR, old units.... and they are still at 3.9.27.8537 with no upgrade option.

is / was 3.9.27.8537 known for white screen on login?  I dont' see that in release notes.  Roll those old units BACK in firmware?

Hello @AntarServices,

Could you upgrade the Controller to 5.8.30?

You could use my update script if you're using Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04

wget https://get.glennr.nl/unifi/update/unifi-update.sh && chmod +x unifi-update.sh
./unifi-update.sh

I would also recommend updating to 3.9.50 since 3.9.42 has some DNS issues.

The release notes include various bug fixes that aren't mentioned, your issue could have been one of them.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

I was going to say - upgrading the controller seems complex.  Thanks for making that update script.

Do you have steps to get to the point to be able to cut / paste that 1 line of code?  SSH into the controller? Something I get to via logging into amazon?

And I'll need to see what version of ubuntu I am running - that'll take logging into my amazon page, right?  I set it up 6 months ago following a procedure here on the UBNT website.  Something like this:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/209376117-UniFi-Install-a-UniFi-Cloud-Controller-on-Amazon-W...

it was my first and still only dealings with AWS and linux.  That page says to choose ubuntu.  maybe I did.

and you say to go to 3.9.50?  That just came out, right?  And the AP-LR old units aren't looking for updates.  that 3.9.42 I have installed on 1 device (a newer UAP AC-Lite) is working fine?  Or at least after installing the firmware, I got the login screen rather than white page (have NOT accepted yet).

now that the login page is cached in the phone, I am getting it from the other older devices also.  So not an accurate test?   but don't have other phones to test a new connection to.

Highlighted

Hello @AntarServices,

3.9.50 is a Stable Candidate, which isn't pushed to the controller. You will need to perform a custom upgrade.

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

You can check the release of your machine by running the following command.

lsb_release -a

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG