Emerging Member
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 1

Why corporate wireless clients get the Guest Portal intercept?

If you could help me troubleshoot or suggest what I should ask? ;-)

Internet -> USG 3p -> US8 -> UAP

There are another US8 behind the first one, with more UAP's

One network with VLAN is Guest and I have a Guest Portal that guest must accept terms and enter "today's password" before getting Internet for 8 hours before they must re-authenticate.

Another network with another VLAN is corporate and there is a hidden SSID where staff can connect theire devices to the Internet without limitations.

Problem: When a user connect theire device to the corporate SSID, they are still presented with the Portal Page.

What could be wrong?

Highlighted
Kudos: 107
Solutions: 21

Re: Why corporate wireless clients get the Guest Portal intercept?

How did you configure VLAN on the US? Why a hidden SSID??

Controller (5.9.29 ): CK 0.12.0
Unifi (3.9.54.9373): UAP-AC-IW-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-M & USW8-60W

Better WiFi coverage is not achieved by increasing transmission power, but by increasing the number of accesspoints.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 1

Re: Why corporate wireless clients get the Guest Portal intercept?

Sorry for late answer.
The reason for using a hidden SSID is that users is not going to bother with what they do not see.

More visible SSIDs is making the user experience a bit more poor for users.

If they see one (and only one) "strongest" wireless network, and it is named what they expect it to be, they do not ask questions on why there is more then one and normal users will not try to connect to the other SSIDs.

For security reason, the hiding of an SSID does not have any effect.

How I did configure VLANs?
Hmm... Looking in to Controller Settings under Network.

The management network does not use VLAN. Switches and APs get dynamically assigned IPs from DHCP and the GW is 192.168.1.1/24

Guests are in VLAN2 and here I use a /16 network using 172.16.0.1 as GW

The hidden SSID that would give "permanent" Internett to devices have VLAN 3 and theire network is 10.0.0.1/24

Under Wireless I have the visable guest network to VLAN 2 and I have the "none guest network" set to VLAN 3