Kudos: 17
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Wi-Fi Down when Controller is not online

Regarding on UniFi Controller version 5.6.29 unlike previous controller, after i adopt the AP, i will exit the UniFi Controller and the AP still able to broadcast the SSID and everyone can browsing internet.

However, latest version controller seems like need to be online all the time then the AP will broadcast the SSID. else, the AP will not broadcast any SSID. 

Is this happen to me or everyone else as well? 

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 135
Solutions: 12

Re: Wi-Fi Down when Controller is not online

i didnt say wireless uplink did i ?

check for monitor connection in your site setup first pls

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 471
Solutions: 6

In settings, check if "enable connectivity monitor" is enabled. If it is, than disable it and try again.
Kudos: 211
Solutions: 74

Tested on my windows controller on 5.6.29 with 3.9.19.8123, 3 sites (1 local, 2 remote). When I shut down the controller, all sites stayed online (not running any captive portals.) I do have wireless connectivity / wireless uplink enabled.

I haven't read any other posts similar to yours and with 5.6.29 being out for a couple of weeks, I think this would have been blowing up the forum if it was version related. The AP stops broadcasting when it can't connect to the gateway, by chance is your gateway going down when the controller goes down?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1219
Solutions: 99

Try a force provision to see if it addresses this.

SuperUser
Kudos: 2239
Solutions: 1132

When the controller isn't online, are you able to ping, from another machine,  the AP ?

Cheers,

jonatha

Established Member
Kudos: 116
Solutions: 23

Can you post a 'Show System Config', which can be found in the controller on the Settings, Maintenance tab?

Controller (5.10.19): CK 0.13.7
Unifi (4.0.26.10049): UAP-AC-IW-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-M & USW8-60W (4.0.26.10049)

Better WiFi coverage is not achieved by increasing transmission power, but by increasing the number of accesspoints.

is the monitor connection box ticked ?

if so, disable it and test again

i believe, there is nothing related with wireless uplink. because, when controller is shut down, the AP will not broadcast any SSID

all my AP are updated to latest firmware too. just that,  i disable wireless uplink.

gateway is up even controller goes down.  i still can ping to gateway. 

yes. i can ping to AP when controller is down

this is kinda frustrating.. i cant even download it.. nothing happens after i click download.

check for monitor connection in your site setup first pls
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10545
Solutions: 1632

@audio-catalyst wrote:

The connectivity monitor is not just for wireless uplink.  It is also for wired.  I have long advocated that the two functions be separated.

i was being inform before that, wireless uplink is when some places dont have networking infrastructur(only 1 hop) wireless uplink is necessary to be enable. If everything is by cable, just disable wireless uplink. 

i used to disable this setting. When server shutdown due to power trip, AP still functioning and able to broadcast ssid...  but now, when server down, AP unable broadcast ssid. even when controller is turn off, no SSID was broadcasted.

now that, i enable the wireless uplink, AP able to broadcast SSID even when controller is turn off.

So I am reading this and it all should make sense.  APs are wired, so I should disable (untick) "Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink".  Except the opposite seems to be happening.  

If the option is enabled, all is well.  We can live without the controller forever.  If I disable it and the controller is down, APs are not broadacsting SSIDs.  I can reproduce it easily by shutting a switch port to the controller.  APs stay up.  

I am running 5.7.23 on Raspberry PI and 3.9.27.8537 on APs.  

Kudos: 1

Also to me on 5.8.4 controller version and latest APs firmware. No way to keep the APs up when the controller is down.

Is there a conclusion on this issue?

I have 3 APs configured:

1 Wired AP

2 Wireless APs configured with uplink

After closing the controller SSID is no longer broadcasted and they don't even respond to PINGs.

I have tried manually configuring the Default Gateway address (and forced provisioning), but the same problem remains.

Ideas?

Established Member
Kudos: 236
Solutions: 55

I've known it did this for a long time now, but the other day it bit me.

We had a fiber router from AT&T that was bad.  Needed to be rebooting every couple hours, the SFP port would go dark.  So I grabbed an old mPower strip and connected it up to our office Unifi and went home.  Thought I was pretty slick.  SFP went dark, I jumped on our network and tried to load the mPower... remembered that Unifi has this trick where it goes away when no internet.  Mad5Mad5Mad5

Luckily I remebered we had an airRouter sitting on the shelf with WLAN0 off.  So I brought it up on the same SSID and got in.

Here is the Unifi setting

uplink check.png 

Anyone managed to solve this?

I have tried to disable connectivity monitor. I have also tried manually setting an IP for the connectivity monitor to something that is online. Neither works.

Anyone got that solved?

I started having the issue after an update from 3.9 to the latest 4 of the firmware. It's really frustrating because my AP has been working without a controller for years.