Highlighted

Wi-Fi signal interference

[ Edited ]

Hello,

New to UniFi and was wondering if someone could help me out on any suggestions with dealing with interference. This is in my house and I live in a culdesac so I wouldnt think my neighbors would be an issue as noone backs to our house. Anyways I'm all ears on how to help improve.

Also at times in the evenings the wifi is terrible, not sure if due to many devices on my wireless or what. Picture attached.unifi.PNG

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

Re: Wi-Fi signal interference

[ Edited ]

What are your radio settings ? Auto?  Power level?
Looks like your 2.4 is on CH-8. General consensus is to use one of the non-overlapping channels 1, 6 or 11.

Example 2g settings:

Width: HT20

Chan: 11

Power: Medium   (or Low - testing required)

Here are my radio settings, looks like it changed. My wife just power cycled it because the roku wasnt able to stream SlingTV or Netflix. Also crazy amount of other AP's now.

unifi2.PNGunifi3.PNG

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

Look at your scan results. . Try changing the 2G radio channel to 1, 6 or 11 and TX power to medium...

image.png
The other AP's shouldn't interfere .. I have a crazy amount too.

Note the size of my "drag bar" on the right of the screen..  that's just the first shot..  Man Happy

image.png

Kudos: 42
Solutions: 11

looking at your scan results, it looks like channel one has the lowest utilization.  Set channel to 1, power to medium for 2G radio.  Look at the scan for 5G and pick the least used non DFS channel, then DFS if you have to.  Set 5G power to high.  How many other, if any, APs do you have?  You'll want to coordinate Chan and freq among all.

Sort the Insights/Neighboring Access Points by Signal descending.  You're going to see other APs no matter what.  Readings of 20-25% and lower are of little worry. Use this in conjunction with the scan to pick channel usage.

Hope this helps.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7

with interference like that i would use 5ghz only on as many devices as you can... and turn off the 2.4ghz SSID under config > WLANS

Kudos: 81
Solutions: 19

[ Edited ]

Or create

@bcruze wrote:

with interference like that i would use 5ghz only on as many devices as you can... and turn off the 2.4ghz SSID under config > WLANS

Or create an additional, 5GHz-only SSID and connect all devices that can see it to that one.

-- Pete

OK, so I've changed my 2ghz band to medium power and set it to channel 6 to have the least ammount of overlapping signals. Anyways here are 2 screenshots of both bands after doing a RF scan. 

I've got the 5g set to High and auto. As for the devices in my house some everything i can set to use the 5ghz is. 

I still dont understand where the interfernce is coming from.

Hope this helps, unifi5.PNGunifi6.PNG

Kudos: 42
Solutions: 11

You've got several things going on:

1) High utilization - lots of other APs in the area. Not desirable, but not all bad.

2) Co-channel interference - APs on conflicting (interfereing) channels.  Channels other than 1, 6 and 11.  This is the worst (least desirable) of the two.

3) You may also have non WiFi interference - Baby monitors, cordless phones, other radio gear, etc... (worst of all).

Did you try channel 1?  

5G looks ok, though I would hard code (select) channel 38.

Are your clients not using the 5G?

Are you just concerned about where the 2G interference is coming from?

@nc2kft Yeah, crazy I live on a culdesac and just woods behind my house but not much I can do about neighbors I guess. Anthing I can do about co-channel interferance? 

So yes, we do have a baby monitor. I didnt even think about that causing an issue. I'll have to power it down and see if that clears up the interference. Also we do have 1 cordless phone but other than that I do have some z-wave devices along with some wireless sensors from the alarm system.

So yeah pretty much just wanting to figure out whats causing the interferance. I'll try with the cordless phone and baby monitor, I bet those are it.

I did try channel 1, it seemed OK as well but I'll change by 5G to 38. Any clients I can are using 5G. Just a wifi camera, nest, google audio cast, rachio, echo and older roku sticks using the 2G.

Thanks for the help!