Kudos: 33
Solutions: 2

WiFi problem on one device

This has to do with the Amplifi system.  Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I could not find an Amplifi thread.

I recently installed an Amplifi system at a client's house.  After having the mesh point bases replaced due to bad connections and loss of power, I checked with the customer tonight to see how the system was working.  He said the system is working great on all devices in all parts of the house with the exception of his Sony TV.  The TV is mounted on a wall in the center of the first floor about 20-30 feet from the router and directly inbetween two mesh points.  Both mesh points are between 85-95% signal strength.  The client tells me that Netflix and Amazon video constantly buffers and freezes on the Sony TV.  All streaming services work perfect on all other TVs and devices.  Not sure what model the TV is but I know it it a fairly new high end Sony model.  I am leaning toward it being a problem with the TV, but prior to the Amplifi install streaming video services worked fine on the Sony TV.  I logged into the Amplifi system and the Sony TV is not listed but I suspect it may be the client named "Hon Hai Precision" in the connected clients list.  If it is, it is showing 57% signal.  Being positioned in the center of the house and in the middle of the two mesh points and the router, I would think the signal should be higher.  Nevertheless, 57% should be good enough for Netflix.  Any one have any suggestions that I could try to fix this issue?

Thanks

Established Member
Kudos: 321
Solutions: 119

Re: WiFi problem on one device

@WPDAdmin

Hi, I guess the customer TV is flipping its WLAN connection between the two MESH points.

Is it connected with 2G or 5G WLAN?

Did you try Bandsteering?

Please reward people who have helped you with kudo's and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
Kudos: 64
Solutions: 25

@WPDAdmin My suggestion would be to have a separate SSID for the TV which is specific to the AP which is the closest. Connect to it as that should resolve the issue. Or maybe, reducing th e Tx of one AP might help too.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!
Paid Remote Support Available!!!
Established Member
Kudos: 164
Solutions: 50

As mentioned above, it sounds like the TV is bouncing between the Mesh points. What I would do, has nothing to do with wifi, and everything to do with running an Ethernet cable from the TV to the Amplifi router.

I would agree with the ethernet cable but unfortunately its not an option.  I will try bandsteering first and then a dedicated SSID.  Can Amplifi have multiple SSID's and then broadcast one SSID from one AP and two from the other?

I am connected to the clients Amplifi HD system remotely.  Bandsteering is turned on.  There is no option to add a second SSID, only a guest network.  It is also not possible to steer devices to a particular MESH point or the router.  I am going to try and optimize what I think is the TV (Comes up as Hon Hai Precision, which is an arm of FoxConn and makes some WiFi components for Sony) for streaming.  I'm hoping this locks the TV into one AP and prevents hopping at least when streaming media packets are detected.  

I am surprised that locking a device to a mesh point is not an option in the connected devices settings.