Wifi coverage in two floors

Hello,
I am interested in a full coverage of wifi signal in the apartments of a building with two floors. I have an AP UniFi LR in the ceiling of the first floor of the building(near the inner stairway). LR is fine but there are some areas in the apartments that there is no signal. I was thinking about a second AP LR(or Lite/Pro), so that it will be one in each floor. Would that be okay?
Thanks 

Established Member
Kudos: 569
Solutions: 73

Re: Wifi coverage in two floors

[ Edited ]

Hi @Fckk and welcome to the community!
I would say you can get away with any of the AP's you mentioned. But you could go with a Pro version for a little more throughput if you put it nearer 1/2 of the building that has more users more often, such as the entrance. Then the LR one can be on the other 1/2 and take care of that area.
Plus this would give you some redundancy, just in case one goes down, the other can take most of its slack. And it will take the full load off of just the one LR you had going before.

Kudos: 170
Solutions: 33

You've heard the saying "too much information"; This is the opposite of that.

Wifi signals are impacted by many things, first and formost is whether 2.4 or 5Ghz. Walls, other's that are broadcasting on the same channels, number of user, etc., all effect what would be considered adiquite.

The best approach is to get another AP and then walk it around the site and test reception at various point around the building. One caveate, just because you can hear the AP on the client does not mean that the client can be heard by the AP.

Eric

Established Member
Kudos: 569
Solutions: 73

Haha Its not that far off. Considering the OP said the LR was doing fine but it just needed some help in other areas. That to me means, its not concrete walls.
But of course, the more detailed you get the better it is.
Kudos: 4470
Solutions: 1160

Hello @Fckk.

Do you have any floorplans of the area?

You can also import floorplans in a controller, set a scale, draw walls and place virtual devices. that would you a indication of the coverage.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hello again and thank you all for your replies.
The doors are wooden and I think the walls are not such a big obstacle for the signal (because of their poor construction). Τhere are a few other weak Wifi signals in 2.4GHz so LR is in 5GHz.Maximum users 25-30. The only problem was that in some bedrooms far from the LR the signal was poor or unreachable. I will try for sure another AP, maybe the PRO as you suggested and the floorplans if it easy.
Thank you! 

Kudos: 4470
Solutions: 1160

Hello @Fckk,

You will want a second UAP if the coverage is not great.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK