02-14-2012 05:14 PM
I have found this to be true on a Windows 7 and Server 2008 box. No amount of rebooting or resetting the AP (and I tried a number of them) makes them discoverable. Turn the firewall off and they show up immediately. Turn the firewall back on and they cannot be discovered.
Once they have been adopted (with the firewall off), you can turn the firewall back on and management works just fine.
02-14-2012 05:27 PM
Can somebody tell me exactly what protocols and ports are required for the beacon to communicate with the controller?
By the way, turning the domain firewall off on the Server 2008 machine immediately restored the connection between the AP and the controller but threw the AP into provisioning mode. It came back online after about a minute.
FYI: controller version 2.2.3. AP firmware version 126.96.36.1995
02-14-2012 05:47 PM
11-04-2015 11:45 AM
I know this thread is old, but thanks so much for posting this. I am new to Ubnt products and couldn't figure out why the Unifi controller couldn't connect to APs through the Windows firewall even with openning port 8080.
Turns out Java Platform SE Binary was blocked in the firewall after a recent Java update.
01-27-2017 08:06 AM - edited 01-27-2017 08:07 AM
Wow, I've been scratching my head on this one and this post solved it. In the windows firewall you need to disable the extra block rules for the Java(TM) Platform SE Binary. These block the connection between the AP and the controller even if you have the other ports allowed. Thanks hendjosh!
07-10-2017 03:41 PM
That was the issue for me, too, even years later than the original posts. Now I just need to figure out why there seem to be so many duplicate entries in the firewall "allowed programs" table for "Java SE Binary." If anyone is stil reading this thread, I'd also like to know whether Java SE Binary needs to be allowed for private networks only, or public, too. In any case ... it's working for me again, so thanks! ... Ron Nelson
10-30-2018 06:20 AM
Keeping this thread current.
It appears a Windows Defender update on 10.29 or 10.30.2018 changed things, and the UniFi controller could no longer communicate with the devices.
I allowed the connection to Java Platform SE binary and it appears to be working again. Keeping my fingers crossed!