Re: Wired devices no longer showing network activity

@emichael wrote:

@ganymedes wrote:

sorry, this is rubish! It‘s fine in 5.7.23 (recognising ALL client activity)!

Uhhh....  Take a look at the first post on this thread.  This problem appeared when upgrading to 5.8.20.  I agree, the activity used to be available in the previous release.

Thanks,

-Eric

Just to reiterate the above - I didn't see this until upgrading my controller to 5.8.xx - before then, even with my (super dumb!) Netgear Switch in the middle of my wired devices and USG-Pro-4, I still saw realtime activity.

Kudos: 2

Please HELP @UBNT-Piotr@UBNT-MikeD , @UBNT-APieper@UBNT-schmid.

Sorry to call you all out, we are starting to turn on each other over here!

Established Member
Kudos: 462
Solutions: 65

@emichael- Your picture on the first posts shows everything being connected to your Security Gateway. That is obviously not right.
Can you please upload your system config for us to see? We need to start looking in a different spot if this is still an issue.

Controller settings-> Maintenance-> System Config-> Show System Config

I have had this before and all I have done is reboot all UBNT devices and it started showing correctly again. I recommend trying another version other than 5.8.20. Maybe a release higher and see how it goes? I know stability is probably your main concern...
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

@verisarioc wrote:
@emichael- Your picture on the first posts shows everything being connected to your Security Gateway. That is obviously not right.
Can you please upload your system config for us to see? We need to start looking in a different spot if this is still an issue.

Controller settings-> Maintenance-> System Config-> Show System Config

I have had this before and all I have done is reboot all UBNT devices and it started showing correctly again. I recommend trying another version other than 5.8.20. Maybe a release higher and see how it goes? I know stability is probably your main concern...

Rebooting has been done, multiple times.  System Config attached. 

I have no problem running a new / beta / test release if someone from UBNT can confirm there have been changes or fixes made in this area. 

Thanks,

-Eric

systemConfig.png
Established Member

I wish I was an employee to help you out.

Looking at your config, I don't see any wireless uplinks happening. If thats the case, try turning off the "Connectivity Monitor" in the controller settings. This has fixed a lot of random things that I have seen.

Also why so many different wireless networks? Such as Xfinity and attwifi?
Emerging Member

@verisarioc wrote:
I wish I was an employee to help you out.

Looking at your config, I don't see any wireless uplinks happening. If thats the case, try turning off the "Connectivity Monitor" in the controller settings. This has fixed a lot of random things that I have seen.

Also why so many different wireless networks? Such as Xfinity and attwifi?

Connectivy Monitor unchecked in Site / Services.  Rebooted controller.  No immediate change.

There are a variety of reasons for all the wireless networks.  I have some wifi devices that absolutely refuse to communicate with each other if they are on the same wifi network.  For example, if my iPhone is streaming music to an wifi Airplay device and they are on the same SSID, it won't work.  Has to be on a different SSID.

A couple of the networks are to force the devices to connect to a specific access point.  I have some security cameras that would absolutely refuse to connect to the nearest WAP, would connect to a distant one, and then lose connectivity.  I created an SSID just for them and assigned it to the specific WAP I wanted them to use.

The IOT network is a guest network for some cheap made in China devices that I do not trust to have open access to my network.  Think LED light controllers.

The xfinity & attwifi are currently not assigned to any access points.  I keep those around for when friends visit and I will quickly assign them.  Their devices will typically auto-connect to those SSIDs.  There is no cell service in my area, so that gives them some measure of connectivity without a bunch of tech horsing around.

So there actually are some real reasons for having so many SSIDs.

Thanks,

-Eric

Established Member

@emichael- Sorry been a busy end of week and weekend and was having Xfinity internet issues. Go figure with those guys...

By any chance any change seen after unchecking "connectivity monitor"?

The SSID thing makes sense that you are doing it that way to make it work. I wonder if others on this community could help you figure out cross talk issues or whatever might be the issue. Especially your iphone and airplay devices...that shouldn't be a problem like it is.

I know you can force devices to specific AP's to a point with UniFi using RSSI minimums or something like that. I wish I could dial that in for you.

For the IoT devices, I have wifi enabled outlets on my IoT SSID and its on a separate VLAN just in case.

Sucks you have no cell service around your area. That has to be a little tough sometimes.

I figured you had your reasons. I was curious to see what they were.
Emerging Member

@verisarioc wrote:
@emichael- Sorry been a busy end of week and weekend and was having Xfinity internet issues. Go figure with those guys...

By any chance any change seen after unchecking "connectivity monitor"?

Negative.  No change with the disabling the Connectivity Monitor.

UBNT's silence on this thread is deafening, especially after being called out last week.  The realist in my says they are simply too busy with other issues.  The conspiracy theorist in me says they know all about this 'defect' and are afraid to say it really is by design to drive customers to buy UBNT switch gear.

Thanks,

-Eric

Established Member

Ahh, sorry man. I would start removing devices and lines and see if that brings the data back at some point. MAYBE, a device is blocking or "breaking" it some how.
I completely understand that you have over 40 clients and 9 AP's and it would take a lot of time but what about a complete factory default and start from scratch? Make a list of last 4 digits of MAC's and the devices name you want. Then input that when the new controller comes up again.
Again, I get that would be a lot of work but if you really want the stats to work, that might be what has to happen.

Unless ANYONE on the UBNT team can chime in??? Anytime guys...this isn't the only user that has these issues. Considering a large point of the USG's are for statistics, I would imagine they would want to know whats wrong with your setup.

Thanks,
Corey

I have this problem too. My extensive home network (USG & 3 APs) has worked fine for over a year, then cascading failures in the last month. Lightning zapped the ethernet ports on cable modem and USG, and both were replaced. Uniif Controller running on a VMWare Linux VM crashed and would not restart. Reinstall failed. Install on new VM failed. Install on Raspbian works, but had to climb ladders and factory reset all devices because device SSH password assigned by old controller lost. I've got better things to do than be network support at home. Those Orbi and Google mesh products are looking attractive. UBNT switch is not happening.

It's mostly working now, but no activity for wired devices. It always worked before on the same hardware. I understand it can't log activity within the LAN because it doesn't got through the USG, but wired activity over the internet should be monitored on the "Clients" page. It's all present under DPI in the client "Properties" box.

Kudos: 1

Same problem here, just noticed it.
Emerging Member

Okay, Ubiquiti wins.  I replaced all my managed Dell switches with new UBNT gear.  I now have Activity Up/Down data for all my connected devices, with one exception.  None of my virtual machines are showing any data.  The ESX server is physically connected to a US-48 switch, and the VMs are connected to a 'virtual switch' within ESX.  Furthermore, another test machine is running on VMWare Workstation and it is not showing any activity either (network set to 'bridged' which emulates a physical connection).

Conclusion: UBNT has done something to stop tracking the up/down activity of machines that are not connected to UBNT gear.  I am wondering if this activity tracking was at one time done through the USG, and they decided to have it done through their switch gear instead.

Thanks,

-Eric

If DPI is enabled (USG present), the data can still be seen at STATISTICS, TRAFFIC STATS, USERS, with a pretty chart. It works for ESXi machines too, and non-UBNT switches. It's still a glitch, and belongs on the CLIENTS screen too.

[ Edited ]

Yes, same here.

I see all the pretty data points just nothing in the clients screen.

Everyone make sure to return to the first post of this thread and hit the 'escalate' button....

Kudos: 2

I'm having this same issue.  Worked fine before upgrading but "TX Rate", "RX Rate", "Activity", "Activity Up", and "Activity Down" columns are empty now. :-(

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 101

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and acknowledge this issue. I have a ticket in for the UI team to fix this. In most cases if you do not have a USW in your network the wired clients will show up as connected to the USG. The activity (rate in bps), activity down, and activity up should be derived from traffic bound to networks that aren't on the USG (most likely internet bound). What happened is the inter-network and activity sections got mixed up.

As a test I was able to replicate this by having a single network on a USG with a client plugged directly into the USG. All traffic showed up as inter-network. So definitely a problem with that.

Sorry for the trouble, but it should be fixed soon!

Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team

Finally, cheers! Just seeing that UBNT are confirming this as a bug is great news.
Kudos: 18

Hi Adam, any news on this issue? It's a royal pain in the ****....

Thanks in advance.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 101

Hey everyone, sorry for the short update but there hasn't been any progress on this issue yet. It's in the issue queue to be started for an upcoming release, of course, but I can't release a timeline on when it will actually come out.

I'm still subscribed to this thread and the internal bug ticket that I have on it. I will keep this updated as I see movement.

-Thank you
Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team
Emerging Member

Thanks, Adam, for the update!

Question...  Will this also address the problem where no bandwidth is showing for wired devices downstream from an AP-AC-Pro? 

Scenario:  I have a 100% Ubiquity network - a variety of switches and access points.  In one location I have a physical machine on the downstream port of an AP-AC-Pro.  I do not see any traffic on the device.  A different device with an identical usage scenario is wired to a switch port and I see all the internal & external traffic going to it.  It sounds like the solution you identified would only show the external traffic going through the USG, and would not show the internal traffic.

Thanks,

-Eric