Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 101

Re: Wired devices no longer showing network activity

@emichael, I believe this would be more related to the AC-Pro firmware being able to report specifics about clients connected on its switch port.

If you SSH into the AC-PRO you could view what it's reporting to the controller by typing:
mca-dump

From there you will want to look up the hostname or MAC address of the client(s) connected to see if there is any information reported for those. It will probably take some digging. I'm not too familiar with what it can and can't acknowledge on that port. If you see information for the particular wired client on that port I suppose it would just be down to the controller to know that information from parsing the inform and placing it in the topology.
Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team
Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

Adam, thanks again for the reply!

I ran the mca-dump command.  I found reference to the MAC in the section below.  I found no references to the IP address or to the machine name.  I have attached the complete output of mca-dump for your reference.

I agree with you.  It does seem there is information in this command available about what is happening on the secondary port, and it is likely something with the controller not parsing it properly.

Thanks,

-Eric

------------------------------------------------

{
                        "autoneg": true,
                        "enable": true,
                        "flowctrl_rx": true,
                        "flowctrl_tx": true,
                        "full_duplex": true,
                        "is_uplink": false,
                        "jumbo": true,
                        "mac_table": [
                                {
                                        "age": 1,
                                        "mac": "a8:20:66:19:3d:59",
                                        "static": false,
                                        "uptime": 403604,
                                        "vlan": 1
                                }
                        ],
                        "media": "GE",
                        "name": "Secondary",
                        "poe_caps": 0,
                        "port_idx": 2,
                        "port_poe": false,
                        "rx_broadcast": 38,
                        "rx_bytes": 18973894863,
                        "rx_dropped": 0,
                        "rx_errors": 0,
                        "rx_multicast": 17894,
                        "rx_packets": 241017433,
                        "speed": 1000,
                        "stp_pathcost": 0,
                        "stp_state": "forwarding",
                        "tx_broadcast": 210102,
                        "tx_bytes": 1807654506196,
                        "tx_dropped": 0,
                        "tx_errors": 0,
                        "tx_multicast": 644693,
                        "tx_packets": 1208931720,
                        "up": true
                }
        ],

Kudos: 8

Got the same issue, running Unifi controller 5.9.29.0 a USG (4.4.29.5124210) and 3 AP-lites. Wifi activity is measured, LAN connected ictivity is not

Established Member
Kudos: 462
Solutions: 65

@WTFoX74- Do you have a unifi switch running on your network? IF not, thats what gives you the LAN activity. As far as I know.
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

No, my USG definitely tracks LAN clients usage.

I can view their statistics and deep packet inspection.

Switch not required.

No I don't have a Unifi Switch

Is this something which needs to be enabled @lucky644?

As you can see, no activity:

Without a Switch it does show USG at port (where USG the alias is of my .. USG) Man Wink

Established Member

@Michael stated this:
"Okay, Ubiquiti wins. I replaced all my managed Dell switches with new UBNT gear. I now have Activity Up/Down data for all my connected devices, with one exception. None of my virtual machines are showing any data. The ESX server is physically connected to a US-48 switch, and the VMs are connected to a 'virtual switch' within ESX. Furthermore, another test machine is running on VMWare Workstation and it is not showing any activity either (network set to 'bridged' which emulates a physical connection).

Conclusion: UBNT has done something to stop tracking the up/down activity of machines that are not connected to UBNT gear. I am wondering if this activity tracking was at one time done through the USG, and they decided to have it done through their switch gear instead. "

@lucky644- To me this means you need a unifi switch to make it work. Also, when I didn't have a unifi switch I saw no stats and when I bought the 24 port 250w, all stats came into the controller then. So I think you need a UniFi switch.

Your image doesn't show up.

I don't think anything specific needs to be enabled, other than DPI.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing a LAN device.

As you can see, this wired client, only connected to a USG via a Linksys switch, definitely tracks usage.

It just doesn't show up on the 'devices' screen dashboard.

@verisarioc then why can I see all the usage and stats for a LAN client despite not using one of their branded switches?

Established Member

[ Edited ]

I think the member is trying to see activity on the clients page. Not the DPI stats. I know that works with just the USGclients.PNG

I think this is what he is referrring too.

My point is, this information is being tracked, so it doesn't make any sense for it to disappear from the clients page.

It has to be a bug.

Established Member

Oh I agree it could easily be a bug. just like the VM's on Core Network Switch port 11. There is a VM server with VMware Workstation running on it. The VMs cant be seen. I for sure know that is a bug.

Correct! DPI works, activity doesn't. Reading the responses, it seems this does require a Unifi Switch also Man Wink

@WTFoX74 But it didn't require a switch, it used to show it until an update broke it.

Established Member

A couple updates ago it was borked. It was probably really tough to get reliable results from 3rd party switches. UBNT seems to be going towards a "less is more" strategy...so they are probably trying to make the controller easier to work with.

@verisarioc 'breaking' something because you think anything but your own is inferior is a very....Sony...thing to do.  Scary if true.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

@lucky644Exactly!  This information used to be there when I ran a bunch of old Dell 6200 switches and a mix small consumer switches.  A few releases back the information disappeared.  The Dell switches were well past EOL, so I decided to replace with Ubnt switches.  That brought the functionality back.

If I had to take a *guess*....  The 'old' way showed north-south traffic going through the WAN on the USG.  Somewhere along the line, the decision was made to instead show east-west traffic across the LAN through the UBNT switches. 

Perhaps the answer involves a much broader change....  Do we want this traffic to report ingress/egress traffic from a given device (ie: how much Internet bandwidth is it consuming)?  Or do we want this traffic to report activity on the network port, inclusive of internal & external bound traffic?  Of course my answer is, 'I want to see both'.

Thanks,

-Eric

Established Member

@lucky644 agreed as that would be terrible but companies need to stop working on things that waste time and remove them. UBNT isn't known for communication for this type of stuff so we are never aware.
Also, I am just speculating as I am not a staff member or on the board. Man Happy
Its also an Apple thing to do but a lot of companies are going away from 3rd party integration cause it causes so many issues. Its much easier to program when its all your own stuff. Hence why Apples ecosystem is terrible and getting worse. (that stupid speaker thing they make)

Again, they should take the time to figure it out but time is money. Also, this makes people go out and by more UniFi items...which means more money for the company. They are not completely stupid.

@verisarioc "Again, they should take the time to figure it out but time is money. Also, this makes people go out and by more UniFi items...which means more money for the company. They are not completely stupid."

Not if it causes people to leave the ecosystem for 'compatibility' reasons.

Also, a good way to lose customer good-will for anti-competitive business practices.