Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Would I benefit from the AC LR vs the AC LITE in our apartment?

I've just installed a Unifi wifi system in our appartment. I got 2 AC LITE AP's as they were cheapest. I can however return them for a set of LR's if I want to, and here lies the question. The LR's aren't that much more expensive, but it's enough to still be money to care about if there is absolutely no noticable gain.

We live in a central 3 bedroom apartment (98 square meters) with mostly concrete walls. I've installed one AC LITE in the livingroom and one in the studio as these are the two rooms in each side of the appartment AND happens to be the rooms where I want the maximum speed. Roaming works fantastically well and they seem to divide the appartment into roughly two simliarly sized zones. I had to dial down the 2.4ghz TX output to low for our devices to not hog on to that instead of 5ghz, but it's still enough for our 2.4ghz devices. 5ghz is the band we care mostly about (computers and phones). At 2.4ghz, there are mostly cameras and various gadgets like Google home etc. There is currently no place in the appartment where the signal has to go through more than 1 wall (except the balcony), and I'd be pressed hard to find a spot where the signal won't go above 100mbit. In most places, it's near or over 200mbit.

The question is: would I still benefit from upgrading to LR's or wouldn't the upgrade be noticable? May the better antennas let the speeds go up even higher in the rooms next to the AP's or lies the benefit further away than that? The upgrade would have to be relevant on 5ghz as that's where the speed matters here. I can't say that I'm unhappy about the current speeds, but more is always... more, and the price isn't that much higher. Suggestions based on experience?

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 386
Solutions: 57

Re: Would I benefit from the AC LR vs the AC LITE in our apartment?

Hi and welcome to the community!!

Sounds like you have a nice setup. You won't see any benifit in this situation from changing out your APs. You don't have a lot of large areas to cover. 98sq meters is not much space for 2 APs but you will have nice redundancy if one goes down. The long range part of the LR-AP is designed to throw the signal much further out and still have clients transmit successfully. Getting those will do nothing but push your SSID out more. That really doesn't help unless you need it to go down a backyard in your apartment.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 185
Solutions: 53

When everything is up and running in the regular locations, can you post a screenshot of the clients screen?

It wouldn't hurt to post the Settings, Maintenance, Show System Config screen either.

Established Member
Kudos: 386
Solutions: 57

Sounds like you have a nice setup. You won't see any benifit in this situation from changing out your APs. You don't have a lot of large areas to cover. 98sq meters is not much space for 2 APs but you will have nice redundancy if one goes down. The long range part of the LR-AP is designed to throw the signal much further out and still have clients transmit successfully. Getting those will do nothing but push your SSID out more. That really doesn't help unless you need it to go down a backyard in your apartment.

2 of your requested items. I don't know about settings and maintenance. You want a dump of all the settings or somethign in particular? (I'm a newbie in the UniFi world).

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 22.53.47.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-10 at 22.52.46.png

[ Edited ]

Thanks.

That's what I'm kind of afraid of, to just spend money for neighbors further down the block to see my SSID. I do have a backyard that I occasionaly want a signal in (it's community, not private), but it's NOT a frequent need and I've already got a repeater hanging in the window that allows for a slow but fully workable signal out there. Not really something to pay any to improve.

@verisarioc wrote:

Established Member

Looks like you've already done some nice tuning too!

My apologies, I should have asked you to click the Wireless tab on Clients. I'd like to see the Signal column. I don't recall if it is there in standard config, you may need to add it if you don't see it.

Oh, that's a new view, haven't seent it before. See now that one camera hangs on to the farther AP for some reason.

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 23.00.39.png

Kudos: 1716
Solutions: 515

[ Edited ]

Hello @tigersoul,

You can disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Could you share the results of a throughput test via the UniFi app?

Don't think you will benefit that much from a UAP AC LR over a UAP AC LITE.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member

[ Edited ]

Those are good signal numbers.

If you really want the camera to switch, you can set the minimum RSSI to 60 on the 2.4ghz radios as long as you don't depend on these devices for outdoor use (you mentioned it).

You mentioned you had the 2.4 radios turned down to low, right?

An LR isn't going to get you anything with those numbers!!!

Oh yes, I had forgotten to disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor. It's done now. All my AP's are wired so no point with that.

About the throughput test, didn't know there was one in the app. Can't find at as a matter of fact, using the android version. I'm instead using another app to do an iperf test to my diskstation. I'm seeing 200+mbps in most areas of the appartment. The fartest reaches of the kitchen + the balcony may only get up to 140 with a dip here and there. Not sure if an LR would help those 2 areas in a meaningful way (not like they are bad).

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @tigersoul,

You can disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Could you share the results of a throughput test via the UniFi app?

Don't think you will benefit that much from a UAP AC LR over a UAP AC LITE.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Yeah I think the signals are pretty decent. It's mostly on 5ghz where I "wouldn't mind" a little boost in speeds in the adjacent rooms, but I'm unsure of whether the LR can make much of a difference. You are right in that the 2.4 radios are set to low for our devices to favor 5ghz, so at 2.4ghz, the LR would likely be unable to do much of anything to improve.

I could turn on minimum RSSI but I'm somewhat hesitant for use cases just outside the house etc. Another idea I had was whether I could fire up a second SSID on both AP's which won't roam to another AP. Like:

SSID: tigernet

Same on AP 1 and AP 2

SSID: tigernet_livingroom

Only on AP 1

SSID: tigernet_studio

Only on AP 2

Could this be done?

@RobbieH wrote:

Those are good signal numbers.

If you really want the camera to switch, you can set the minimum RSSI to 60 on the 2.4ghz radios as long as you don't depend on these devices for outdoor use (you mentioned it).

You mentioned you had the 2.4 radios turned down to low, right?

An LR isn't going to get you anything with those numbers!!!

Highlighted
Kudos: 1716
Solutions: 515

Hello @tigersoul,

Don't think you will see much higher speeds with the LRs.

It doesn't only depends on the UAP, it can also be the device being limited.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

I think that you're right. I saw just now though that there's a sale on the LR, so I could try exchanging one AP for a price that is, well a shrug, so I might try replacing the one of them where the demand is higher and see what the end result is.
Established Member

The LR only makes the coverage larger. You have plenty of coverage.

That's true!

I did exchange one AP temporarily for an LR and did some testing that I thought was worth writing about.

The opinion here that the LR wouldn't add much to my setup was 100% correct, but it was even worse than that: it did WORSE than the lite. Signal levels were 3-9dbm lower, even several rooms away. It's possible that the LR comes out on top in a larger open space, but in an appartment situation, it's not a recommended choice over the lite. I can see it being used in a back yard or an open reception area etc.

ps: transfer speeds were similar to the lite despite the lower signal, but the connection was less stable speed-wise.

Established Member
Kudos: 400
Solutions: 75

Odd that you say this.

I find the UAP-AC-LR is much more suited to flats (apartments) than the Lite as the antennae plot would suggest....

YMMV of course.

That's interesting. Maybe there's somethign unique about our appt layout but I found not one single place where the signal even reached the lite level, little less surpassing it. Did I have a faulty device on hand? It's returned.

Established Member
Kudos: 400
Solutions: 75

[ Edited ]

Everywhere is different so there's no hard & fast rule.

I am very surprised at your results though as the UAP-AC-LR is physically larger (for the antennae) so its likely to achieve better diversity results (at shorter ranges as well) for smaller client devices so more radio chains in use (if supported).

Like I said YMMV Man Happy

I'm equally surprised as it doesn't make sense. Maybe the device I had was faulty after all. I'm not keen try reorder and try again though so I'll just stick with my lite's. They do offer fine coverage after all.