Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Would a second AP with wireless uplink improve throughput or just range?

I have a single AP Pro downstairs and upstairs I get about 150mbps.

If I put another AP upstairs with a wireless uplink am I likely to see a throughput gain or would it just increase the range?

Kudos: 3072
Solutions: 821

Re: Would a second AP with wireless uplink improve throughput or just range?

Hello @mwadham,

Welcome to the community!

You won't see a performance increase if you wireless uplink the UAP.

You will see a performance increase if you hardwire the UAP.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 19

If you create a wireless uplink (Mesh network), you will actually lose performance as half of your performance will go to maintaining the uplink, and half will go to devices. You will increase the range of your network though.

If at all possible, see if you can hardwire the second AP, then you will get full speeds and the increased range. If that's not an option, then the above applies.

Kudos: 206
Solutions: 73

thoughput gain could be experienced by a device (or devices) that are barely able to connect to the main AP downstairs, but could benefit by adding the wireless uplinked AP in a position that it acts as a relay. Keep in mind that the "relay" does not allow the wirelessly uplinked AP to achieve full speed service because it has to receive, then re-xmit each packet.

For example, upstairs device can only connect to downstairs AP at 54mbs, however your ISP is 25mbs... you're ISP is the slowest link, so a faster local connection probably won't change your internet experience.

Now you plug in your 2nd AP and it wirelessly uplinks at 300mbs to the down stairs AP... rough math is 1/2 throughput loss... assuming your device connects at or near full speed, your net throughput is roughly 150mbs to your end device.  Taking for example the same 25mbs internet, you still won't have any improvement in your end device internet experience. But say your ISP is 100mbs and now your device is going to be able to access more of that available throughput in compairson to having no upstairs AP.

Overall your best approach is a wired 2nd AP back to the switch / router, but given a choice of 1) barely any signal / low speed connection, or 2) wirelessly uplinked AP with reduced overall throughput but better overall throughput compaired to no 2nd AP... I'd opt for the 2nd option.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Thanks for the replies, since coverage is good upstairs I think I'll just stick with one AP for now.