Kudos: 3
Accepted Solution

adding a second AC Pro for better coverage

I need to add a second AC Pro on the other side of a bulding to get better coverage and connections. I search the forum and found that the secondary port does not give POE. 

Can I use the secondary port on one and connect it to the secondary port on the second one and the just have the POE on the first port on the second AC Pro. The turn on "Allow meshing from other access points" or do I have to run a seperate network cable to the second one.

Thanks,

Kim

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 72

Re: adding a second AC Pro for better coverage

[ Edited ]

@KimHJ wrote:

I need to add a second AC Pro on the other side of a bulding to get better coverage and connections. I search the forum and found that the secondary port does not give POE. 

Can I use the secondary port on one and connect it to the secondary port on the second one and the just have the POE on the first port on the second AC Pro. The turn on "Allow meshing from other access points" or do I have to run a seperate network cable to the second one.

Thanks,

Kim

Yes you can connect both secondary ports together, and provide POE to the primary port of the 2nd AP. I had tested this setup a while back. The wired network ports will bridge, so it doesn't matter which one has the active network connection. Only the primary port is the POE port for power to the AP (or really a POE switch if you were needing wired connections on that end.

I could see this being helpful in a situation where you can run data in from one direction but power is only available in the opposite direction and you really don't want to run cable past the AP and back to it. Since both APs have a wired network connection, you do not need to turn on "allow meshing from another access point" as that is a wireless uplink feature and would not be in use in this setup. 

A word of warning however, is if your first AP goes down (FW updates, restarts, etc.. ) your 2nd AP will also lose connection till the first AP is back online. 

View solution in original post

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Hello @KimHJ,

Use the same SSID on both UAPs, tho I do recommend hardwiring the UAP and tuning your Radio Settings.

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 283
Solutions: 20

@KimHJ use a POE injector.

Existing AC Pro [Secondary] -> POE Injector -> New AC Pro [Primary]

UCK-G2-PLUS | USG-3P | USW-24P-250 | USW-8P-150 | UAP-AC-LR | UAP-HD-IW | UVC-G3-AF | UVC-G3-PRO | UVC-G3-FLEX

Hello @KimHJ,

You can use a POE injectot like this.

UAP LAN2 > POE Injector LAN > POE Injector POE > UAP LAN1

You can also wireless uplink the UAP by only using a POE injector and not using the second port on the UAP, tho hardwiring devices is the best thing you can do.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 72

[ Edited ]

@KimHJ wrote:

Thanks,

Kim

Yes you can connect both secondary ports together, and provide POE to the primary port of the 2nd AP. I had tested this setup a while back. The wired network ports will bridge, so it doesn't matter which one has the active network connection. Only the primary port is the POE port for power to the AP (or really a POE switch if you were needing wired connections on that end.

I could see this being helpful in a situation where you can run data in from one direction but power is only available in the opposite direction and you really don't want to run cable past the AP and back to it. Since both APs have a wired network connection, you do not need to turn on "allow meshing from another access point" as that is a wireless uplink feature and would not be in use in this setup. 

A word of warning however, is if your first AP goes down (FW updates, restarts, etc.. ) your 2nd AP will also lose connection till the first AP is back online. 

Thanks.

Those are mostly used as access point for wireless cameras do I need to change the Radio channel on one AC-Pro and give it a diffrent SSID or just leave the booth the same and the camera will automatic connect to the strongest signal?

Thanks,

Kim

Hello @KimHJ,

Use the same SSID on both UAPs, tho I do recommend hardwiring the UAP and tuning your Radio Settings.

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80/VHT160 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Thanks,

Kim

Hello @KimHJ,

You're welcome!

Glad we were able to help!

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG