can i use UniFi Mesh as a standalone wireless router with a fixed IP

Hi all i have a dought about the UniFi Mesh, can i use it as a standalone wireless router with a fixed IP?

The ideai is to use this unit indoor or outdoor in Music Festivals where i will have to control the system using (Ipad, Ipod Touch, ANdroid Phone, and a couple of Laptops Windows and Mac) so i will conect the system with a RJ45 cable to my AP and everything eles will be on Wi-Fi, for outdoor aplications i will need to do no more then 160 meters of distence.

Thanks

Kudos: 119
Solutions: 38

Re: can i use UniFi Mesh as a standalone wireless router with a fixed IP

It is not a router. Can not be used as one. It can be an AP with a static address, but it will not assign IP addresses to clients that connect to it.

Can i for exemple have a smaller router that i can turn of the wifi connect to a switch and use to generate IP?

Kudos: 119
Solutions: 38

Yes any router will work, but if you want to keep it in the unifi family a USG could be added.

I have an older ubnt Nanostation Loco M2 that i bought three years ago and i had to ask the help of a friend to resolve a similar issue he had to install open wrt on that model so it can operate as a standalone fixed IP (generating IPs) to all the other devices last week i had my first big issue with it the wifi simply stop working and i had to use another router small TP link that i have, at home i connect by rj45 and realize that the wifi just turn off by it self and did not manage to get it back to his glory days when i just connect to the power outlet and it is ready and in the most complicated festivals i just hang it at 12 meters high and i had wi-fi for over 300 meters, that is what i am looking for a reliable Wi-Fi router that as a fixed IP and can do more that 150 meters, in a small size and without having to connect another wifi router to generate IPs.
Sorry for the long post but i am a bit in a dead end i am also start to consider other brands as well but my situation is a bit different from most cases and i am not an IT guy just a sound engineerMan Wink if you can point me in the right direction will be must appreciated.
Thank you for your help
Kudos: 12

I regulary use the UAP-AC-M for remote functions at events & festivals. 

Initially I had one setup with a single SSID as an access point into the network. I configured the AP with an install of the Unifi Controller on my laptop.

I would just assign my ipad a static IP, and everything worked great. Range was perfect for what I needed. I have a desktop mic stand I use for it & it all collapses down nice and tight for travel. 

--

Towards the end of last year, I deciced to upgrade my system a bit, and now I have (2) UAP-AC-M, a cloud key, and USG. I've started to put one AP at FOH, and one onstage/at dimmers. 

So i can use my laptop with a fixed IP to generate an IP to the UniFi AC Mesh AP and it is ready to go?
Do i have to be fiscally connected (cat5 from the laptop to the AP) because i don't just use my Ipad to VNC my Laptop i also grab my MS Surface pro to tune the system.
Kudos: 12

Here's how I made it work...

Initial Setup:

Install the Unifi Controller software on your laptop.

Connect your laptop and AP to a switch. 

Give your laptop a static IP in order to access the default IP on the UAP-AC-M.

Adopt the UAP-AC-M into the controller.

Setup your SSID and settings on the AP. 

Keep the controller software installed to handle firmware and settings upgrades on the AP. 

When its time to connect a computer or iPad to the AP:

Connect the AP to your wired network/switch

Connect to your SSID on your device.

On your device, assgin it a static IP in your network range. 

On an iPad/iPhone, setting a static IP on a wireless network will be remembered, so next time you connect to it, you won't need to go back to those settings. 

It also looks like you can setup the AP's from the mobile app, but I haven't tried that yet. 

Thank you for your help i will buy the UniFi AC Mesh AP and give at go.

Cheers man if you need anything from the AV world in Portugal just send me an emailMan Wink
Highlighted

So my Unifi AC Mesh arrives today and i have followed the instructions that you have said and i realize that i can only have wifi if the AP is connected to my laptop through Cat5.

Is there another way?