Accepted Solution

home set up advice for 3 story house

I am switching from an Asus router setup and am totally lost with all the options available to me.

The house I currently live in has 3 floors. I am renting so drilling through the walls is not an option, but I do not want to rule this out in the future as I will be purchasing a house.

I have a fios ethernet connection coming into the top floor that currently feeds into an Asus router. The router has

• 3 devices plugged in using ethernet on the router
  • a MoCA 2.0 out that feeds to the second floor
  • a powerline adapter that feeds out the basement floor (least important)

On the second floor I have the MoCA 2.0 receiver that feeds into a second access point that also feeds ethernet to 4 devices.

In the basement the powerline adapter hooks directly into an xbox.

What would be good hardware to replace this setup? I would probably only need a wifi access point on the third and second floors. Could I reuse my current router as a switch on the second floor or is that not advisable?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Re: home set up advice for 3 story house

@vespasian Yeah no problem! And Ill try to answer your questions as best as I can

1) If youve got 300/300 speeds I would definitely get the USG-Pro if you want to use any of the DPI or IDS/IPS features, as that will decrease the a speeds the device is capable of, the USG-Pro will hand 300/300 no problem

2) The mesh points will allow you to create a mesh network in your home, and gives the ability to select uplink access points. If one fails the others will take over the wireless traffic, sort of in a self healing sort of manner. While some of this is capable with the UAP-AC-Pro/lites, the mesh points are designed specifically for this, plus I believe (could be wrong) that with the mesh points, if you would like, you can create a dedicated wireless bridge, which means the mesh point would only send and receive traffic from its uplink access point. This can be used to help increase speeds if it is needed. Also with mesh points, you can continue to add points that if needed/wanted and it will allow again for a self healing network. An example would be if you had a garage and the wifi signal was weak, you could add a mesh point out there as well. Lastly, I believe the UAP-AC-Pro/lites need to be wired into the network, Im not sure that they can be wirelessly daisy chained such as the mesh points can, again I could be wrong on that as well.

3) The hardwired connection to the xbox will be plenty fast, the mesh point is more than capable of handling the traffic needed for high speed online gaming. Ive have been on my ps4, while someone on a nintendo switch, someone on youtube on their laptop, and someone on the tv streaming all at the same time and didnt notice any degradation of speeds. The one caviat that I mentioned before, is that the mesh point those devices are connected to is wireless connected back to my UAP-AC-Pro, which is wired into the network. In your setup, with the xbox being in the basment and needing to jump to the next mesh point and then on to the UAP-AC-Pro/lite, I would recommend upgrading that mesh point in the middle to the pro model, just so you wont need to worry about bandwidth congestion. Im not sure how many devices you will have being used at the same time, but if its only three or four not including the xbox between the first and basement floors, then the regular mesh should be just fine, if its any mroe than that I would upgrade the middle one like I said.

4) To be honest with this one, Im not super familiar with the moca adapters, from my understanding though, you could have a slightly different setup then I suggested before, basically, you would keep the second floor the same, execpt have the moca outbound to the first floor, where you would provide an inbound connection to the switch, and then from there to a UAP-AC-Pro/lite. Then in the basement just leave that the same as well, this way the only wireless bridge would be between the basement and the first floor access point. This would hypothetically increase speeds as with the moca, the mesh point in the basement would be basically connected directly to the second floor in a sense since the moca would give you that hardwired functionality. Again Im not super familiar with the moca adapters, but I hope that make sense.

Again sorry for my long windedness! Man Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Hello @vespasian,

Welcome to the community!

I assume you're looking for a full UniFi Network?

Are you able to run any cables?

Could you post any floorplans?

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

I am looking at going full UniFi. I am not currently able to run cables. From the third floor to the second floor I can get a signal through with a moca 2.0. From the third floor to the first floor I am using a powerline adapter.

The house is a 2200 sq feet townhouse. I have attached a floorplan with notes.Untitled_Artwork.png

Hello @vespasian

If you are looking for a good solution without running many/any wired for the most part, I can highly recommend getting the following gear, I have used this setup for my own house where drilling was too much of a pain since the house was built in 1890 and still has many of the original plaster and lathe walls:

1) A USG or USG-pro for the routing/firewall functionality of the network.

2) Depending on how many things you would like wired on each floor, I would get 1 to 3 USW-8-150W or 60W switches. Hypothetically you could place one on each floor and wire what you need to on each floor. 

3) UAP-AC-Lite or UAP-AC-Pro as your main access point on the floor that the modem/internet is coming into the house.

4) 2 UAP-AC-Mesh for the remaining two floors.

The Mesh points will allow you to create a wireless bridge back to the main access point and therfore out to the internet. I have found this works great in my house as my internet comes into the basement. Once the Mesh points are connected back to the main access point and therefore to the internet, any thing plugged into the switch it is connected to will/should automatically route traffic to where it needs to be. I recommend using the POE switches as then you will eliminate the need for a poe injector. Also if say you only wanted to wire one item on a floor (such as the xbox you mentioned) then you would not need the additional switch on that floor as you can plug the mesh in and power it via the injector, and then plug in the device straight to the mesh point. Here a brief look at what it could look like if I understand your layout correctly:

Second floor = internet <-> modem <-> USG <-> USW-8 <-> UAP-AC-Lite >>> wireless bridge and wireless devices

First floor = wireless bridge <-> Mesh point <-> USW-8 <-> up to 7 other devices wired, and all other wireless devices

Basement = wireless bridge <-> Mesh point <-> either the same as the first floor, or wired to one other device and all other wireless devices.

One suggestion too for bandwidth, is that if your internet is comming in on the top floor and there is where the main access point would be, I would go with the UAP-AC-Pro on the top floor, and the UAP-AC-Mesh-Pro on the first floor, keeping the basement at the regular mesh point. I only suggest this as the basement would have the strongest signal from the first floor mesh point, so instead of bogging that first floor down with all the basement traffic and first floor traffic, the Mesh-Pro would allow for a higher bandwidth.

Sorry this was so long winded, hope it helps!

[ Edited ]

@reno777thank you for the help. I have a few questions. One other thing to mention is my internet speed is 300/300.

Why use the UAP-AC-Mesh instead of buying 3 UAP-AC-Pro/Lites?

Will the hardwired connection to the xbox be reliable/fast enough if the wireless access point is extending the network via wireless instead of receiving an inbound connection from the powerline adapter?

Why not use the moca adapter to provide an inbound connection to the USW-8 and then plug the wireless AP into the switch? Wouldn't I receive faster speeds than extending the networking with mesh?

Thanks!

Highlighted

@vespasian Yeah no problem! And Ill try to answer your questions as best as I can

1) If youve got 300/300 speeds I would definitely get the USG-Pro if you want to use any of the DPI or IDS/IPS features, as that will decrease the a speeds the device is capable of, the USG-Pro will hand 300/300 no problem

2) The mesh points will allow you to create a mesh network in your home, and gives the ability to select uplink access points. If one fails the others will take over the wireless traffic, sort of in a self healing sort of manner. While some of this is capable with the UAP-AC-Pro/lites, the mesh points are designed specifically for this, plus I believe (could be wrong) that with the mesh points, if you would like, you can create a dedicated wireless bridge, which means the mesh point would only send and receive traffic from its uplink access point. This can be used to help increase speeds if it is needed. Also with mesh points, you can continue to add points that if needed/wanted and it will allow again for a self healing network. An example would be if you had a garage and the wifi signal was weak, you could add a mesh point out there as well. Lastly, I believe the UAP-AC-Pro/lites need to be wired into the network, Im not sure that they can be wirelessly daisy chained such as the mesh points can, again I could be wrong on that as well.

3) The hardwired connection to the xbox will be plenty fast, the mesh point is more than capable of handling the traffic needed for high speed online gaming. Ive have been on my ps4, while someone on a nintendo switch, someone on youtube on their laptop, and someone on the tv streaming all at the same time and didnt notice any degradation of speeds. The one caviat that I mentioned before, is that the mesh point those devices are connected to is wireless connected back to my UAP-AC-Pro, which is wired into the network. In your setup, with the xbox being in the basment and needing to jump to the next mesh point and then on to the UAP-AC-Pro/lite, I would recommend upgrading that mesh point in the middle to the pro model, just so you wont need to worry about bandwidth congestion. Im not sure how many devices you will have being used at the same time, but if its only three or four not including the xbox between the first and basement floors, then the regular mesh should be just fine, if its any mroe than that I would upgrade the middle one like I said.

4) To be honest with this one, Im not super familiar with the moca adapters, from my understanding though, you could have a slightly different setup then I suggested before, basically, you would keep the second floor the same, execpt have the moca outbound to the first floor, where you would provide an inbound connection to the switch, and then from there to a UAP-AC-Pro/lite. Then in the basement just leave that the same as well, this way the only wireless bridge would be between the basement and the first floor access point. This would hypothetically increase speeds as with the moca, the mesh point in the basement would be basically connected directly to the second floor in a sense since the moca would give you that hardwired functionality. Again Im not super familiar with the moca adapters, but I hope that make sense.

Again sorry for my long windedness! Man Happy

Thanks for the help. I ended up going with a usg, 2 x USW-8 60w, 2 x UAP nanohd
Emerging Member

I have a four story house, very similar to what you are trying to do.  I have an old house with lath and plaster and many coats of lead paint.  The lath and plaster and/or the lead paint does a excellent job of attenuating the WiFi radio waves.  

Here's what I purcahsed. 

EdgeRouterX with 2 AC Pros with power injectors.  Total cost in the USD is about $350 or the cost of the ASUS router.

Place the EdgerRouter on the thrid floor with an one of the APs. Ideally you would want to mount the AP on the celling so the beam pattern points downward.  If you can't mount tot he celling place on desk or shelf upsidedown/LED on the bottom.  The beam pattern is mushroom shaped.  So if you mount on a wall it will radiate up and down towards the roof and not out.

Connect the second AP through the MoCA to the second floor.  Place this AP upsidedown as well. (LED on the bottom) This one should easily cover the first floor and second floor. 

Be sure to hard code the channels on 2.4 and 5 to prevent interferance. 

Depending on the size of your home you could propbably easly get away using just one AP mounted vertically on the second floor.  The beam pattern would cover the entire second floor and offer good coverage on the thrid and first.

Hope this will save you some money.