Accepted Solution

info about UAP-AC-PRO and LR

Hello everybody,

I am looking for a solution to a domestic problem: at home I can't have a personal internet connection and I am forced to use the common modem router using its wifi and I would like to create my personal network in a completely different range, is it possible with a single Ubiquiti device such as UAP-AC-PRO or UAP-AC-LR?

I'll explain better my situation: I live in a 4-appartments building, every appartment use the same shared internet connection and everybody is connected to the same modem using wifi. I can't have my own modem and I can't deploy an ethernet router. I need a single device that connect to the common WiFi and create my own wifi but in a completely different subnet, to achieve some kind of separation. Is it possible? Or are two devices needed? 

Thank you all in advance

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 3000
Solutions: 807

Re: info about UAP-AC-PRO and LR

[ Edited ]

Hello @alelio,

You would be still on the same network if you only use a UAP.

So either look into an AmpliFi or USG + UAP

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies

[ Edited ]

Hello @alelio,

Welcome to the community!

You will need to use VLANs to create a seperate subnet for yourself.. Your modem most likely doesn't support this, so you would need a USG for example and a UAP AC LR/PRO to broadcast your wireless network.

May I ask why you wan't your own network?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
Kudos: 51
Solutions: 3

Yes, if you added your own wifi device you would have control over wifi. But there is a bigger issue at stake.

First, there is a single router that manages all of the apartments. Putting anything else on the other side of this router will not give you any benefit. You could put a USG ahead of the router, but that would be a hindrance to everyone else. Every time there was any hiccup in the internet, they'd all come knocking on your door.

Second, there is a single cable modem. You have a single connection to the internet, everything goes through this, so even if you had a USG in front of the other router (or convinced them to get rid of the router and have everyone use the USG), you still all share a single uplink and nothing you do on the back end will change that.

The best option is to get a USG and enough UAPs to cover all of the apartments. Then you could manage all of the traffic. But I am pretty sure that is not what you want to do because I am assuming that you are not in control (or have ownership) of the full network.

[ Edited ]

Hello @AmazedMender16,

@jfruehe is right, I have no power on the modem itself or even on the network, as today my only way to "separate" my network from others is to have an access point connected both wirelessly to the common modem and with an ethernet cable to the wan port of a personal router, the router then create my wifi on a different subnet. It's not a complete separation but at least nobody casts nothing on my tv or use my network printer...

Is there any ubuquiti product that can replace my "ghetto" configuration with a single device?

Thanks

PS: Happy new year Man Happy

[ Edited ]

Hello @alelio,

You would be still on the same network if you only use a UAP.

So either look into an AmpliFi or USG + UAP

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Hello @AmazedMender16,

I didn't knew about the AmpliFi, it looks promising. Thank you very much!.

Bye

Hello @alelio,

You're welcome, happy new year!

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG