Accepted Solution

noob Q: Unifi controller + Android app

[ Edited ]

so I got my first UAP-AC-pro and installed on my Ubuntu the controller .

Associated (adopted) the AC-pro to the controller and all works perfectly. Defined 3 Wifi networks.

now: installed from Google Play the Unify controller. saw that nothing is listed there so I scanned the QR code to adopt the AC-Pro (Android device now in the same WiFi network as AC-pro) and it failed to discover the device.

is this by design ?

( I assume it might be due to security reasons. once the AP associated with the Ubuntu Controller and can't be associated to the android App ?)

is it even possible to manage Unifi AP without a PC ? (i.e. only with an Android app ?)

Maybe the android app is simply a proxy to my desktop controller so I will need some direct login from android to my PC.

so if only one controller is allowed to control the UAC AP , what happens if my PC is nuked ? (HDD failure or alike) I will need to hard reset my access points  and begin from scratch ?

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 4470
Solutions: 1160

Re: noob Q: Ubuntu Unifi controller + Android Unify app

Hello @mord,

You can’t if the UAP is adopted to the Ubuntu controller.

You can use Cloud Access to manage the UAP via the phone app.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello @mord,

UAPs can only be adopted to 1 controller, they are adopted to your Ubuntu controller most likely.

To manage the UAPs... enable cloud access on the controller and login via SSO on the app.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

are you scanning the QR code?

yes, I revised my original question. read it again. I tried to use my android to see if it can recognize my existing AC-pro.

Hello @mord,

You can’t if the UAP is adopted to the Ubuntu controller.

You can use Cloud Access to manage the UAP via the phone app.

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

ok. read the manual. Android app can configure a un-associated UAP either standalone or connect to existing controller.

standalone does work.

Android app can NOT convert a UAP which was already associated with a controller (to a standalone).

BTW: the new android version now also write a warning about it in the devices page.

Hello @mord,

Correct, why would you want that on the first place?

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

I think that manuals pushed me first to the big installation of Ubuntu controller...

but for my SOHO I could really go with just a standalone installation. I rately look at the graphs, stats etc.

in standalone mode you just define an SSID name + send&forget .

I understand I can reset the device and revert back to standalone.

for now I use the ubnt.com SSO feature to connect to my controller with my Android application.

Hello @mord,

Forget the UAP in the controller if you want to do a standalone configuration.

Then scan the QR code of the UAP with the phone app.

Regards,

Glenn R.