Emerging Member
Kudos: 27

"Auto-Optimize Network" - Any explanations or guide somewhere?

In controller 5.10.12 there is a new setting called "Auto-Optimize Network." What does this do exactly? What are the pros and cons of turning it on?

It was off by default after upgrading. Is it also off by default on a new install?

Highlighted
Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Re: "Auto-Optimize Network" - Any explanations or guide somewhere?

Hello @pervel,

• Connects high performance clients to 5 GHz only for all Wi-Fi Networks ( BETA )
  • Block multicast and broadcast traffic for high density Wi-Fi networks

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

So in fringe areas, is 2.4GHz ignored (assuming SSIDs are the same for 2.4/5)?

How about forcing the clients on to particular APs? I have a set up where an overlap occurs (topography doesn't allow the additional 15'+ needed for perfect spacing) and as a result, iPhones/Androids latch on to the further node at say a respectable -70dBm instead of roaming to the AP above the users head which would likely have a -50dBm and double throughput. I don't want to set minimum RSSI to -69 (for obvious reasons) but that is usually the biggest gripe I have is that it would be great for the network to toss the client on to the best AP since the client usually won't since -69 or -70 is actually still pretty good.
Kudos: 13

Glenn, 

This reply doesn't help anyone, and neither does my reply here.  Why would you simply post exactly what the Controller tells all of us under this new Auto-Optimize Network Setting toggle?  

Please post once you have something constructuve to add about this new feature, instead of just posting for posts sake so you can boost your UBNT member status.  Thanks.

Johnny

Kudos: 4

[ Edited ]

@Cyberdoc wrote:

Glenn, 

This reply doesn't help anyone, and neither does my reply here.  Why would you simply post exactly what the Controller tells all of us under this new Auto-Optimize Network Setting toggle?  

Please post once you have something constructuve to add about this new feature, instead of just posting for posts sake so you can boost your UBNT member status.  Thanks.

Johnny

Couldn't agree more.  His post helps no body.  Is he trying to up his 15,000+ post count?

Left shaking my head with his posts lately......  Hopefully someone gives a constructive answer and not a copy/paste from the release notes......

@pervel  this question has been asked NUMEROUS times on here, and UBNT can't seem to give an answer at all. I am not sure if its because its beta or they just care not to answer the question.  So for the time being, seeing as its beta, i would not enable it.  Maybe one day one of the UBNT admins will give a detailed answer....

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

[ Edited ]

Glenn is right. This button is very simple in regards to what it does.

It turns on Prefer 5G, and it turns on Block Multicast and Broadcast Traffic.

These used to have to be turned on "per radio", now it is just one click for the entire site.

Look here at 6:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7lcAh4Hro

Established Member
Kudos: 248
Solutions: 89

@RobbieH
"Connects high performance clients to 5 GHz only for all Wi-Fi Networks" is not the same as "Prefer 5G" (aka "Bandwidth Steering")
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

@flamber wrote:
@RobbieH
"Connects high performance clients to 5 GHz only for all Wi-Fi Networks" is not the same as "Prefer 5G" (aka "Bandwidth Steering")

Whats considered a "high performance" client? My Apple Tv 4K streaming 4K on Netflix?

AP AC LITE
UAP nanoHD (x2)
Edgerouter 4
Emerging Member
Kudos: 27

[ Edited ]

@jbo55: Thank you! I enabled it and haven't seen any effects good or bad. But you're right that since it's marked as beta, I should probably keep it disabled. 

Established Member
Kudos: 248
Solutions: 89

@Gizbug
In the beta forum, a week or two ago, people were reporting that even their Apple Watch was seen as "high performance" even though it's only 2.4G
I don't know the algorithm behind what it defines as "high performance".
It would be nice to have an article about "Auto-Optimize Network" on help.ubnt.com - it's probably going to come soon.
Kudos: 1

A iPhone 4S couldn't connect to wifi anymore with this option enabled. It's 2,4Ghz only.

Kudos: 1119
Solutions: 303

I think that is currently the main issue with this option. It identifies the wrong devices as being "high performance". The issue with the Apple Watch is already fixed in a new (beta) firmware.

Indeed a more detailed explanation of how it is supposed to work and why enabling this is better than manually configuring options would be helpful. As my WiFi network is stable and there are no issues with it, I am not inclined to enable it without knowing more details.

Kudos: 2

2 iPhone X in house suddenly dropping wifi, and back, And off. And back.

Switched feature off - and we're back to normal.

Beta it is.

[ Edited ]

I've experience the same issue of dropped Apple devices after enabling the auto-optimize setting, so I've reverted as well.

Kudos: 26
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

4+ days and no info or explanation from the UBNT team for the OP @pervel ?  

Cmon guys......

AP AC LITE
UAP nanoHD (x2)
Edgerouter 4
Kudos: 4

I think I'd like to see the button provide a summary of the changes that it would make so that I could review them, or at least know what it will be doing to my settings.  At this point, it's just a blind push of a button.

1SDN5.10.12
1USG-3P4.4.36.5146617
1UAP-LR4.0.18.9926
1UAP-AC-LR4.0.18.9926

"Band", not "Bandwidth"

Same. Both iPhone 4 and 4S (neither of which support 5Ghz) could no longer connect after enabling this "feature". This is worrying, since I notice that this is enabled by default in the setup wizard on fresh installs!
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 3

I had high hopes this was smart WiFi radio management implementation. 

Kudos: 102
Solutions: 12

[ Edited ]

Since turning this capability on a number of my wireless clients lose their connections ... Apple iPhone6 and Apple iPad Air both of thse clients are on the 2.4 network. Apparently they lose connection and are forced to re-enter their passphrase. When renterring their passphrase Apple refuses the connection .... If I turn the Auto-Optimize Network OFF They Re-connect. ? Is this a known issue?

I am using Unifi 5.10.19-11646-1 and AP Firmware 4.0.24.10010

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call