Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 20
Solutions: 7
Accepted Solution

"UAP-AC/UAP-AC-Outdoor LTS Announcement

[ Edited ]

Accepted Solutions

Re: Major Concerns around "UAP-AC/UAP-AC-Outdoor LTS Announcement - ATT to UBNT UNIFi Product T

No point arguing on this. I have ordered new AC points.

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 3939
Solutions: 943

Re: Major Concerns around "UAP-AC/UAP-AC-Outdoor LTS Announcement - ATT to UBNT UNIFi Product T

I've got square AC AP's out in the field at customers premises but I don't see any thing to worry about. They'll still carry on until they need replacing.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Established Member
Kudos: 462
Solutions: 49

[ Edited ]

Dunno what you major concerns exactly are. They told you they are not adding new features to the HW because it's not capable of using them. It's not even EOLed, rather still maintained as in: "Long Term Support (LTS) only (i.e. security and stability updates only; no new features".

What on earth are you exactly expecting here? With most vendors you get about 1-2 firmware upgrades for the lifetime of the product, not even that with some of them. They just produce a "new" model every year and cease support for the previous one altogether. Trade-in at this price tag? Gotta be joking.

Kudos: 6

I don't think the concern here is lack of updates itself but the fact that the devices will no longer be supported in newer UniFi Controller versions. From the announcement:

When are we doing this?

• UniFi Controller 5.6.x (firmware version 3.8.x) will be the LTS release for the UAP-AC and UAP-AC-Outdoor models
  • UniFi Controller 5.7+ will not support the UAP-AC and UAP-AC-Outdoor models

If you have mixed old and new UniFi devices this does indeed face a problem: You can't update update to UniFi Controller 5.7 because some devices will stop working but at the same time you would need to update to make the fullest of your new devices.

Basically Ubiquiti is saying you should replace the old devices with newer ones (which may make sense from a security point of view once LTS ends).

I'm assuming it does, but to clarify, does this include "UAP-AC v2"?  No more firmware updates and features I can live with - but now having to use two seperate controllers (and possibly more in the future) is going to be annoying and tedious.

Highlighted
Kudos: 4

I think UBNT needs to clarify if this means UAP-AC just won't receive new features going forward or if they really do mean you lose complete ability to control them in 5.7+.  

Are all Gen 1 AC's the square ones?

SuperUser
Kudos: 3939
Solutions: 943

twinnine wrote:

Are all Gen 1 AC's the square ones?

Yes, the Gen 1 AC's are the square ones but to confuse matters a little more they came in V1 and the later V2 versions.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

No point arguing on this. I have ordered new AC points.

Kudos: 106
Solutions: 4

twinnine wrote:

I think UBNT needs to clarify if this means UAP-AC just won't receive new features going forward or if they really do mean you lose complete ability to control them in 5.7+.  

@UBNT-Brandon@UBNT-APieper

Can you confirm or do we really need at least a second controller for old devices?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4660
Solutions: 194

So yes for sites that will have these UAP-AC (the square model) it is recommended to stay on 5.6.x. We will continue LTS on this controller for the UAP-AC (square model).

The `why` of this is the feature-sets we're implementing in 5.7.x rely heavily on the modern APs functionality. And it would make user experience - and reliability - a huge problem in 5.7.x if we tried to keep support for this old UAP-AC (square model).

So the only differences between the 5.6 and 5.7 releases are these new features that are incompatible w/ the old UAP-AC (square model) APs.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brandon
Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access