Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

separate Guest network

Hi,

we have to set up two different SSIDs. One for internal LAN, productive network. And one for Guests.

The guests (mobile devices mainly) shall go into separate network, where a dedicated DSL Router is which serves also as DHCP-Server.

We have standard switches, no USGs, and those networks don't see each other. The only way we can bring them together is in the VM where the Unify controller runs.

Is there any chance to guide the guest clients into that network?

Thanks

Rene

Kudos: 1

Re: separate Guest network

Hi rene,

Which APs do you use?
Unifi has an own guest Network / Portal etc.

Greeting from Germany

Hi,

we are using the HD APs.

Our network config: we have a POE switch only for connecting the APs, with an FC uplink to the production network switch.

And we have a separate switch, which connects to a DSL-Router directly, which is used for wired guest internet access.

We want to route the Unify guest network through this guest LAN in any possible way. I think, I cannot "route" it via the Unify controller VM. Maybe I have to connect production switch with guest switch and separate the networks on IP site or with using VLANs.

Could that be the way? Any other ideas?

Greeting from Germany too ;-)

Rene

Emerging Member
Kudos: 46
Solutions: 1

VLANs would be the way to go.

Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 1349
Solutions: 638

If you aren't using the Guest Portal, but only a guest SSID, you need, at least, a smart/managed switch, with switchports to which the APs are hooked up a 'trunk', eg. VLAN 1 unatgged/native, VLAN 10 tagged, on access ports VLAN1, the internal network, on one access port VLAN 10, the router/DHCP for guests. In the controller, one SSID without any VLAN tag (this SSID will be part of the inetrnal network), and another SSID with VLAN tag 10 (SSID for guests).
Cheers,
jonatha