speeds through AP are drastically slow

[ Edited ]

I've got a setup where I have an AP-AC-LR running in my house as well as 2 nanostations set up to send wifi out to my barn with an old router set up as an AP out in the barn.  

Here are my speed test results:

Hardwired to network:

Down 16Mbps

Up 14Mbps

In house laptop connected to AP-AC-LR (wireless 11ng) 

Down 4 Mbps

Up  14Mbps

In house phone connected to AP-AC-LR (wireless 11na)

Down 16Mbps

Up 14Mbps

In barn (through 2 nanostations and a repurposed router as an AP)

Down 15Mbps

Up 14Mbps

Upload seems untouched through all methods, but for some reason my downlink on the AP is about 1/3rd the speeds I should be getting.  What settings or changes can I try to rectify this?  It is odd to me that sending the wifi about 400 yds through additional devices seems to yield speeds greater than connecting straight to an AP in the house. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1118
Solutions: 189

Re: speeds through AP are drastically slow

Show us your AP settings (SHOW SYSTEM CONFIG). My guess: You need to reduce the 2G power on the AC-LR.

ubnt setting.jpg

I've messed with Channels, Channel Width, and transmit power and they all yield about the same results.  I've only got one AP for the house so I'd like to run it on High power, but medium seems to be a bit better which is why I'm running it that way currently.  One thing to note is that when it was initially set up about 3 months ago, I was getting full speed through all radios to all devices. 

Kudos: 173
Solutions: 22

@BurtonSnol3orde wrote:

ubnt setting.jpg

I've messed with Channels, Channel Width, and transmit power and they all yield about the same results.  I've only got one AP for the house so I'd like to run it on High power, but medium seems to be a bit better which is why I'm running it that way currently.  One thing to note is that when it was initially set up about 3 months ago, I was getting full speed through all radios to all devices. 

First suggestion is to change the 5G radio to VHT40. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 4

Only the laptop?

I've tried all combinations for channel, width and power for both radios and saw little change in speed. 

Highlighted

yes, only on the laptop (which leads me to think it is a radio setting issue), but i can't seem to pinpoint anything that would have changed from when it was working full speed a few months ago. 

Established Member
Kudos: 123
Solutions: 38

Raise the power to High for 5 GHz  an de power for the 2,4 GHz to low/medium.

Also change the channel with for 5 GHz to VHT40 in stead of VHT20! This will give more bandwith  Ubnt Banana

Cheers and let us know.

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 595
Solutions: 37
Contributions: 1

Do you find that this is related to signal strength? Are you able to get 99% of signal strength when you stand close? Does this affect the speeds? 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Speeds were taken at both 99% signal sitting next to the AP as well as 72% (usual location of usage) and speeds were comparible.  

Interesting results today (overall a bit quicker with the same settings I had yesterday)

Original - Medium power both radios, channel width 20 on both

up - 8.4

down - 14.9

your suggestion of high power on 5G and low on 2.4G and bumping 5G width to 40

up - 8.7

down - 14.9

just out of curiousity high power on all and leaving vht40

up - 10.3

down - 13.1

still not getting what I should and there is no reason my uploads shoudl be higher than my downloads... but I just keep chasing these settings and driving myself crazy.  There is no reason my repurposed router turned AP should have faster speeds (with the same laptop) after being beamed hundreds of yards across my property.

also, not sure if it matters to anyone, but network interference isn't much of a thing around here.  I've got 1 neighbor I can see from my house and I cannot even pull in an SSID other than my own. 

Established Member
Kudos: 681
Solutions: 63

Is this a Windows 10 laptop and if it is, I would look through windows forums and/or laptop manufacturer site/forums for wireless throughput issues caused by recent updates.

Yes, it is running windows 10.  I've tested on another laptop and get similar results to the original laptop.  Neither laptop has a wireless AC radio but the phone does.  

I ran more speed tests today and speeds are back down

medium power on both radios

laptop 

down  - 5.1

up  - 3.0

phone 

down 3.7

up 6.9

high power on both radios

laptop

down  4.8

up 2.3

phone

down 2.4

up 5.8

high power on 5t and low on 2g

laptop

down 4.9

up 2.3

phone

down 4.9

up 13.6

this irregularity is driving me nuts.  I have also confirmed that hardwired speeds are not changing. 

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

What are you testing to? Is it something inside your network or an internet test?  If an internet test, please connect directly to your router or the directly attached AP and see what the difference is. 

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

Please make sure to state the PHY rates that are negotatiated for the client that you are testing with as reported by the UniFi controller - both TX and RX (also a screenshot with this info of the client properties or the modified client table would help). At the same time take a screen shot of the AP properties so that we can see the channel utilization bar on top as well as the wire speed and negotiation.

Since it seems that you are testing 2G only any changes to the 5G radio should be irrelevant.

What kind of NanoStations do you have, are those by any chance NanoStation M2? If yes, are they on the same channel as the 2G radio of the UAP-AC-LR you are having this issue with?

When hardwired into the 8port switch I get the full speeds that I mentioned at the beginning.

Yes the nanostations are M2 and running on channel 6.  I've tried the AP on 1,6 and 11.  The odd thing is that 6 seems to have slightly higher speeds for some reason. Again, there is no network congestion as there are no neighbors.

PHY rates according to unifi all are at 72Mbps aside from one firestick that runs at 144Mbps. 

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

@ub40 wrote:

(also a screenshot with this info of the client properties or the modified client table would help). At the same time take a screen shot of the AP properties so that we can see the channel utilization bar on top as well as the wire speed and negotiation.

It would help us here to understand this a bit better. Obviously the UniFi AP should stay away from channel 6 if that is occupied by the NanoStation M2. How close are AP and NanoStation?

How exactly are you testing? Again a screenshot would not hurt. Also a speed test within your LAN, using one WiFi device and one wired devices, would be a good thing to do. There are various iperf3 tools around, or you could use the "UniFi" app for Android or iOS. And then there is also the new USurvey app from UBNT.

You could also check your AP hardware.

Sorry, I've been away from the house for a bit.  

The AP and Nanostation are both very close to each other and I am aware that staying away from ch6 is ideal, just noted above that speeds seeemd higher when on 6 which seemed strange as well.

Speeds within the LAN between my wireless laptop and my NAS were around 39-42mbps read/write speeds.  I can't seem to get the Unifi app to recognize my controller to run speed tests that way. 

What do you want the screenshots of?  Just the settings for the radios?