super slow wifi on android phone

[ Edited ]

My UAP is not currently connected to a controller.  I do not have a computer attached to the network that the UAP is on.  I'm not sure if that matters, but I wanted to state that first.

I have a Note 4, and I get horrible download and upload speeds while connected to my UAP.  If I restart my phone, all is well again for at least a few days. However, if I connect to my Netgear WNDR3700(that the UAP is connected to as well), I get terrific speeds.  Screenshots below to show speeds.

Any ideas why this is happening?  And it also appears to be only my phone that it is happening to. I did a speed test from someone elses Galaxy S 4 and posted that below as well.

connected to UAP

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-01-19-10-24-27_zps...

connected to Netgear wifi

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-01-19-10-23-06_zps...

other phone connected to UAP

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/4079_zpspz6v7vwg.png

Re: super slow wifi on android phone

4079_zpspz6v7vwg.png
Screenshot_2015-01-19-10-24-27_zps9jpto3ua.png
Screenshot_2015-01-19-10-23-06_zpsguxtoyxw.png
Established Member
Kudos: 1084
Solutions: 51

I'd check cabling... also the wireless channel...  and turning the netgear wifi off while the UAP is up and running. 

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos

The netgear WiFi is usually off. I just turned it on because I can't deal with the slow speeds on the uap anymore.

Why would the cabling affect only my phone?

Cant do anything about the channel without the controller running.
Established Member
Kudos: 1084
Solutions: 51

the cabling from the UAP to the net gear router.

You dont have the controller installed anywhere?  I'd do a complete reset on it and reconfigure it with 3.2.9

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos

I had the controller set up to configure it, but like I said, I don't have a computer running on that network. This is in a business, and it's configured as a private network for employees, and a public guest network. It is on its own ip address separate from all our internal computers, so there is no way for me to have the controller running.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1333
Solutions: 351

You don't need to put the controller on the same network - it can even be in the cloud.

Cheers,

Andrew

How can it see it if it's not on the same network?

I restarted my phone and network speeds are back to normal. But in a few days it will slow down again.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1333
Solutions: 351

[ Edited ]

Have a look in the knowledge base for L3 adoption here.

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks, but that looks to be way beyond my technical expertise.

I recently discovered this same issue. It is exclusively affecting my Andoird phones but not other devices. I did multiple back to back tests between my Surface Pro 4 and my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and the Android was clocking in at 8Mbps and my Surface at 42Mbps on the very same AP. What is even more odd about this is that I can take the same phone into work without rebooting and it will clock in over 130Mbps. I come back home and it is 8-14Mbps just depending on the time.

Tonight I restarted the AP without restarting my phone and the speeds were great again. Not quite as good as my Surface but in the same ballpark. This, obviously, forced a renegotation on the WiFi on my phone which may have been all the AP restart achieved. The next time this happens I will have to pay attention to the band my phone is connected to. Maybe it is a band or beam forming issue specific to the band.