Kudos: 6

two Unifi AC-PRO connected to standart router will work ?

Hi gang,

I want to buy two AC-PRO units and connect them to my standart router to LAN (LAN1 and LAN2). So they can obtain IP from router´s DHCP. I want both AC-PRO´s to create one SSID and have working internet in my home. Is this correct ? In the future I want to purchase USG and switch but not today.

Is the "standart router (some TP-Link)" with LAN and two AC-PRO (or AC-lite) enough to have working one SSID ???

The controller will be installed on my PC

thank you, Petr

Kudos: 49
Solutions: 12

Re: two Unifi AC-PRO connected to standart router will work ?

Hello.
You can most certainly connect two UAP-AC-Pros to your router's LAN ports. All LAN ports are on the same local subnet by default. Both APs will receive IPs from your DHCP server. You will have to setup a Unifi controller and configure your wireless settings through it. So your APs will have the same SSID. Just make sure when you configure the APs not to leave them at auto channel assignment. Assign not overlapping channels manually for 2.4 and 5Gzh ranges. Happy networking)

thank you !

so both AC-PRO have to have the same channel ? I thought the AC-PRO can manage the channels automatically itself. ??

Kudos: 1072
Solutions: 97

[ Edited ]

No APs can automatically manage channels themselves.

The AP does have an auto settings on by default which sets the channels it think is best upon boot up.  It is likely not the optimal so it is always best to set the channels and TX power manually, otherwise you will run into problems trying to figure issues because of it.

sorry Im newbie Man Happy

and what is the best practice for channel settings if I have 2 APs doing one SSID ?

1. both APs running on the same channel ?

2. each unit have different channel ?

thank you

Kudos: 49
Solutions: 12

@pekahk Best practice is to set channel and TX power manually for both bands. Here is an example:

Channels.JPG

[ Edited ]

thank you ! Man Happy

I will scan the bands and choose free channel on each unit. I´m looking forward to Unifi experience Man Happy

Kudos: 152
Solutions: 51

Is the router also a wireless access point? If you plan on still using the wireless portion, don't forget to take that into account for your channel selection. In 2.4 GHz channels 1,6, 11 are the 3 that do not overlap each other.

If you don't plan on using the old wireless then look in the settings to shut off the wireless portion, if it's on the same SSID it will trigger a rogue AP warning. You can mark it as known if you plan on using it. It's just a warning so if you do nothing, that's fine too.

[ Edited ]

thank you for your remark.

Even my old router is wireless AP I´m not going to use it as wireless and preffer Unifi for wireless. I like the Unifi controller setup and I want to play with Unifi family - it offers me future upgrades of my network and thats what I like and looking forward. 

My colleague told me already there are only  independent 3 channels in 2,4 GHz and I did not believe him. Why there are 13 channels in wifi settings whne there are only  3 independent channels ? strange for me

[ Edited ]

@pekahk

There are up to 13 channels (14 in Japan), depending on the country region, however there are only 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11).  This is one of the reasons why 2.4 Ghz is to conjested compared to 5 Ghz.

Do note, I believe the wiki is not quite up do date with the regulations but this is just to give you the basic idea of the 2.4 Ghz, to see why there are only 3 non-overlapping channels.

List of WLAN channels

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1075
Solutions: 191

[ Edited ]

@sash11@pekahk please note that using HT40 (your channel “width”) for the 2.4GHz radios is not recommended because you will get channel overlap and interference, even between channels 1, 6 and 11. Instead, tor 2.4GHz HT20 is recommended.

EDIT: here’s a WiKi page with some graphics to support it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Details on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here.

thank you !

The ideal situation is to choose one of the free channels (1,6,11) and then we should periodically monitor our wifi environment by WifiAnalyzer for example or make a channel deal with our neighbour.

5 Ghz is probably also a solution because it has more independent channels and maybe it can work on AUTO channel well .. ?

I´m smarter than in the morning - I love this forum Man Happy

thank you

Petr

[ Edited ]

@pekahk

I did not get kudo for posting that same link first? hahaha!

Auto is never recommended regardless because it may not select a channel that is ideal, as it would select it upon boot up or after an RF Scan.  Always select a channel manually after performing a site survey or RF Scan to determine which is the appropriate channel to use.

@Sango

you are right - fixed Man Happy

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1075
Solutions: 191

Sango wrote:

@pekahk

I did not get kudo for posting that same link first? hahaha!

Auto is never recommended regardless because it may not select a channel that is ideal, as it would select it upon boot up or after an RF Scan.  Always select a channel manually after performing a site survey or RF Scan to determine which is the appropriate channel to use.

@Sango Ha, didn't realize you were linking to the same page :-)

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Details on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here.