unifi controller constantly crashes silently

Hi. Sorry I am relatively new to unifi so cannot say this is a 'new issue'.

I set up a windows 10 pro virtual in my ESXi and all it is there for is the unifi controller. It loads and runs fine, however when I go back a while later in the web interface it wont load. Looking back on the virtual, its not running, its crashed I assume.

How can I diagnose this please as its rather annoying.

Kudos: 3574
Solutions: 931

Re: unifi controller constantly crashes silently

Hello @garethi,

Welcome to the community!

What is the reason for using a Windows UniFi Network Controller?

Are you running the UniFi Network Controller as a service?

Could you PM me the logs?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-XG-16 • USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hi there.

Well the only reason is I am familier with windows!

I can stuggle on with lunux but the only instructions I could find were how to 'update controller with APT'. There was not any decent instructions by Ubnt so I assume its not really supported on that platform.

I dont believe I am running it as a service its just an app, if I close the app the server closes.

Hello @garethi,

You could use my installation script for Ubuntu/Debian installs.

Anyhow, please try to run the UniFi Network Controller as a sevice and PM me the controller logs.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USW-XG-16 • USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

OK I will try and set as windows service. Windows has decided to go on an update first through!

Hello @garethi,

LMAO, I so wanne recommend linux now Man Happy

Please keep me posted.

Regards,

Glenn R.

I am happy to give the script a go. I have OpenMediaVault running in a couple of instances, and PiHole and Untangle is my router, and OwnCloud. I am not terrified of linux is just that Ubnt does not appear to support it.

which linux varient would you suggest?

Hello @garethi,

They do support it, their UCKs and UAS is all linux.

I would recommend going with Ubuntu 16.04 ( 18.04 )

Regards,

Glenn R.