Kudos: 3

unifi guest portal won't load off cloud key

[ Edited ]

Hello,

So we are migrating to the cloud key and have a customized guest portal that works fine on our current controller.  

Initially I restored the backup file on the unifi controller off the cloud key and access points would successfully come up and I could connect to the internet.  When I turn on the guest policy even to have a customized or even the default ubiquiti portal come up; nothing will load when I connect to the wifi.  

If I manually authenitcate the device from the controller, then I can connect but I am not able to load the portal, the web broswer doesn't seem to attempt to a portal.  I can ping the cloud key ip address and even access the cloud key management with no ACLs.

I've tried factory resetting the cloud key and using default configuration and tried different unifi controller firmwars(first 5.0.6, then updated to 5.0.7.) I noticed, the interface loads slow.  I then rolled back the firmware to 4.8.20 and all same results.  I'm out of ideas what to try next.  Has anyone had issues loading the portal off the cloud key?

Cloud key firmware is 0.5.0 and we've opened up the port 8880 for guest portal.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5363
Solutions: 1780

Re: unifi guest portal won't load off cloud key

[ Edited ]

When you restore a back-up from another controller, I don't believe the portal gets copied over. I think you manually have to copy the portal code over, after enabling it on the new controller.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205231940-UniFi-What-is-included-in-the-backup-file-

Set a Frequency! Don't leave it on Auto!
Disable Uplink Connectivity Monitor
Always set-inform a Second time after Adopting

I've uploaded the customized portal through WINSCP and if I go to the gateway of the subnet, the portal comes up. It's just mainly when I connect to the wi-fi, the cloud key does not redirect me to the guest portal.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5363
Solutions: 1780

Did you enable the portal and minimally configure before you copied over the folder structure?
Set a Frequency! Don't leave it on Auto!
Disable Uplink Connectivity Monitor
Always set-inform a Second time after Adopting
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1428
Solutions: 437

When you connect to the Guest WiFi, are you saying you aren't being redirected at all? What does the browser say when you attempt to browse to a website?

What version was the controller you generated the backup from? The controller on the Cloud Key should not be "downgraded" from the bundled v5.0.6 or any version higher to a lower version. If your backup was from a v4.8.20 controller, and you wish to remain on v4.8.x, then purge UniFi from your Cloud Key first, then install v4.8.20 from the .deb and restore your controller from the backup that way.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Yes I tried minimal changes to the settings and no changes to the to the default portal folder with same results.

Hi Cody,

The web broser gives a DNS issue, but the whole setup is internal 192.168.x.x.  I have tried it on same vlans as well.

I think I would prefer the V4.8.20 controller, when I downgraded; the interface seems to load faster. I would reset to defaults the cloud key, is that the same as purging the unifi from the cloud key? 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1428
Solutions: 437

The controller itself comes bundled with the Cloud Key firmware. In order to purge the controller, you need to log in via SSH and issue the following command:

sudo apt-get purge unifi

That will completely remove unifi. You can then proceed to download the .deb you want to use, and install it using dpkg -i.

As I mentioned though, if your database has already at some point been upgraded to v5.x, and you're using it to restore onto v4, it might still be in an inconsistent state, having data that only v5 knows how to handle.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Hi Cody, I tried purging the unifi controller then installing 4.8.18.  Still same results though.

I also tried changing some of the settings with the system.properties but didn't see any improvements there.

Is there anything I can do with the settings controller hostname/IP and also in guest policy the setting "Portal URL Hostname".  I see a checkbox that says "Redirect using hostname________".

Because it mainly seems like a redirecting issue, tried changing the ports in system.properties for the portal to go to 8443 instead of 8880 but still same results, not sure if i need to change those hostname settings as well.

Bump,

I've now updated the controller and cloud key to the newest firmwares. 

still same issue.  I can access the guest portal if i put in the ip of the controller, but nothing is redirecting me automatically to the portal.  There is no firewall so all the ports are open.  i see the on wireshark, a lot of dns queries for 8.8.8.8 or 129.250.35.250.  When I open a broswer and try to go to a website to trigger teh guest portal redirect, it says there is no internet connection.

SuperUser
Kudos: 6094
Solutions: 387

Have you checked your DNS that is being provided to clients on the guest network?  Did your controller move to a new IP address and DNS not get updated?  

That it works via IP but not name hints to me that this is a DNS issue. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

[ Edited ]

Hi Eric, yes I was thinking that too and made some headway last night. We changed the DNS to our DNS servers and now the splash page loads up automatically on our smartphones, but I'm still seeing an issue loading the guest portal on my laptop.  Has windows 7.  

Tried with another laptop that's windows 10 and loads fine. So now will try see why its not loading on my windows 7 laptop.

**UPDATE** determined it was just an issue with my laptop, looks like everything is good to go now. thanks everyone for your input. papa bless

Kudos: 2

I had the same issue, was hitting my head to the wall and finally checked the DNS on the Controller and the APs to find out they had the old DNS, updated that and all works fine now.

If you ever get this issue first thing check your DNS.

Thanks

Mahmoud

Kudos: 1

For anyone else having a similar weirdness with no redirection but the portal/ports are accessible directly (and/or after authentication theres no internet for guests).

Check every AP config. Check the gateway set there. Check the DNS set there. I found strange entries and set gateway and DNS to the USG LAN IP. Weirdness stopped and everything started working!