yet another cloud key issue.

I bought a used cloud key and I'm having issues bringing it online.

It's powered by a 2.1a USB power adapter

Symptoms: if I just power it up, I get an endless booting slow, white flash.  Unpingable, undiscoverable.

I can put it into recovery mode with the blue/white flash and I can access it via browsing to a DHCP IP address (found by using an IP scan tool).
I can upgrade or downgrade firmware (sometimes, it takes a few tries, but eventually, I can pass the firmware), I can 'set to default settings', and I can reboot, however, after reboot, back to the initial issue.  Unpingable, undetectable.

I picked up a 48v power injector and should have it in a couple of days, just on the off chance that this thing does not like the USB power, but I can't imagine that would be the case, since I can reach it in recovery  mode, but it never boots to running OS.

I've done some searching through the forums but I can't find symptoms (and a solution) to what I've seen here. 

Thanks in advance.

-brady

Kudos: 2217
Solutions: 640

Re: yet another cloud key issue.

Hello @bwilliamsky,

Welcome to the community!

You should be fine by powering it via USB, is it connected to the switch though?

Are you able to SSH into the UCK when it's in recovery mode?

Have you tried powering it without SD card?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Yes ,it's connected to the switch (can ping and access in recovery mode) 

I have tried bringing up without the microsd card inserted with no luck. For what it's worth  I'm using a personal 4gb card and if I've read correctly, it's not necessary to perform a format outside the cloud key. Is that correct? 

I've not tried to ssh while the cloud key is in recovery mode, 

I tried to ssh when it was not in recovery mode and it fails  I have NOT tried connecting directly to it with the pc NIC and having the pc configured to the fallback ip subnet, however I HAVE tried browsing to the cloud key under that scenario and not been able to reach it  

Hello @bwilliamsky,

Strange... Might be a broken UCK...

If the SD card works not, otherwise format it to EXT4

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

That would be a shame. I just wanted to make sure I've exhausted all diagnostic resources before returning to seller .

I don't think this will make a difference since the cloud key won't boot without the SD card inserted, but I'll get mini tools, format the micros, and give it another try .

I'm still hoping I'm overlooking another option for unbricking this thing. 

Thanks again

Hello @bwilliamsky,

You can't do much more than a factory reset on the UCK.

You could try to upgrade it via the recovery mode.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Understood. 

Yeah, I've been able to upgrade and downgrade versions 11 and 12 while in recovery mode. 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails...no rhyme or reason. 

Kudos: 1072
Solutions: 291

Just  to add my 2 cents here.

Are you by any chance using the short network cable that came with the CloudKey? These are known to be flaky. Did you try another network cable?

Lol..  Really?? 

Yeah, it's the only cable I've used. 

I'll definitely give it shot with other cables. 

Ok....  I've;

changed cables, no change in behaviour

I've used minitools partition wizard and reformated the micro SD card and reinserted it, no change in behaviour

I've set it back into recovery mode and tried to SSH into it that way, immediate connection rejection..

I used the power off feature in recovery mode, let it sit off for a bit then unplugged/replugged power to let it perform a safe shutdown and power on, no change in behaviour, when I try to SSH after waiting a couple of minutes, I get 'network error, connection timed out'.

I noticed when doing a safe shutdown (from recovery mode) and then powered it back on by removing and reconnecting power, I get the really soft, slow blink for about 10 seconds while 'booting' and then it goes into a crisp blink about every 1.5 seconds and just seems to be unreachable.

I spoke with tier 1 support at ubiquiti last night and I'm expecting a follow up email from their engineers to either tell me it's hosed or to offer more diagnostics.. I hope I'm not waiting too long.

Is there any other diagnostics I'm overlooking here?