Highlighted

Decentraliced internet. It’s possible?

Hello.

I would like to know if it would be possible with current technology to decentralize the internet network, that is, to create a series of routers or access points at the user level that allow us to connect with each other as a p2p mesh network so as not to depend on isp and access to internet for free.

I mean something like this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsukuku

Thanks.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1675
Solutions: 133

Re: Decentraliced internet. It’s possible?

Given the right scale and conditions, you can relatively easily connect yourselves together.  Connecting that to the public Internet is a bit harder.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 2

Of course, that is simple networking. And thats what routers are for.

If it were possible, it could mean a revolution. I think it would be interesting to launch a product with this approach ...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 42
Solutions: 2

Internet protocols are already decentralized. Even the root DNS servers aren't hard-coded.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 52

It's 100% possible.  Routing protocols are entirely decentralized (see BGP).  Really the only challenge is transit (connections to other users).  If you can solve that in a scalable way, and get enough users to connect with you, you could create your own, parallel internetwork.  But the real question is why would you want to?  ISPs exist for a reason - they provide a generally pain-free way to connect to a global backbone.  

Kudos: 5

Do some googling to Local Meshnets or DarkNetPlan (on Reddit).  There is lots of discussions about Meshing local communities, but as mentioned before getting the transit or uplink to the global backbone is the real kicker.