Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 4

Edge Switch With 4 Pair Power

I would like to see an edge switch that can handle airfiber. We have a lot of netonix in the field but we are running out of Airfiber Ports. I would like to see more then just 4. Also need 10 gig uplink. Something like an 8, 16 or 24 port that can do all 54/24V, 4/2 Pair. 48 port would be amazing by my guess is the amps would be too high. Maybe something powered off of 54 volts DC might help with amps.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8529
Solutions: 539
Contributions: 1

Re: Edge Switch With 4 Pair Power

This depends greatly on the particular AF radios in use - 

8x AF5?   That's 400 watts total.   

8xAF-X?   That's around 80 watts.

So it really depends on what you are using.   80 watts is easy;  400? not so much...

And at 40 watts per port (not even 802,3bt levels) a 48 port unit would need to provide almost 2,000 watts.   That's 35 amps at 54 volts.   Would need 8 or 10 gauge wire.   120v AC mains would max out a 20 amp circuit for that single device...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 4

Re: Edge Switch With 4 Pair Power

I figured it be a lot of amps. 

We mostly use AF24 and 11X. We also have ignite nets. Our biggest site has 4 AF11X radios, 4 AF24 and 5 or so Ignite nets which take 24v 4 pairs. 

We currently build our own DC banks to power the tower. This way we dont loose runtime from converting between DC and AC. So far the airfibers are just plugged into an AC Trip Lite but would like to move them onto the DC power banks. 

Thinking of something like this http://store.packetflux.com/packetflux-rackinjector/ but would like just one piece of hardware.