Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

EdgePower Operating Temperature

Hello, 

I was wondering about the possibility of edgepower in an outdoor box. I noticed that the operating temp has a max temp spec of 104F. I am sure the product is designed to be in a conditioned room with power running up to product, but there are small sites that would be nice to have a box at the bottom of a smaller tower that housed the edgepower, but, in the midwest with sun beating down it would get rather toasty inside. Anyone pushing the limits of the specifications on this product? Any plans to make a "tough" or outdoor version of this product?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 8331
Solutions: 525
Contributions: 1

Re: EdgePower Operating Temperature

We've had one running in an outdoor cabinet in the sun for well over a year now, with no issues.   It does have a fan and thermostat in the cabinet, but it's still going to be hot in there in July.August.   The ratings are always pretty conservative...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser

We've had one running in an outdoor cabinet in the sun for well over a year now, with no issues.   It does have a fan and thermostat in the cabinet, but it's still going to be hot in there in July.August.   The ratings are always pretty conservative...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
Kudos: 1

Great. That is helpful. Thank you for the information. What area are you in? Just curious about your enclosure / fan setup. Was going to add a fan and vents, but then started worrying a bit about moisture.

SuperUser

bbutler10 wrote:

Great. That is helpful. Thank you for the information. What area are you in? Just curious about your enclosure / fan setup. Was going to add a fan and vents, but then started worrying a bit about moisture.

Colorado USA.   High desert/plains technically;  we get 300 days of sun a year and low humidity most of the time.   But not as hot as true desert areas - I used to live in Nevada years ago where 120F days are normal in summer...   Much prefer it here.

Jim