Emerging Member
Kudos: 41
Solutions: 2

EtherMagic

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.plc&hl=en

"An EtherMagic network consists of one EtherMagic Switch and one or more EtherMagic EndPoints. Each EndPoint must be paired with a Switch to create a network. Use the EtherMagic app to:
- Pair the EtherMagic EndPoints with Switch to create a network. Note: The EtherMagic System bundle (EM-KIT) is Plug and Play ready with each EndPoint already pre-paired with the included Switch.
- Provision management functionality for EtherMagic Switch and Endpoints, and also provides device and network statistics."

This is the first I've heard of powerline adapters having both endpoints and switches. Anyone care to guess what is going on here? I don't see how a traditional network switch would be useful in a powerline environment, where all endpoints are connected to a shared bus. I'm guessing each endpoint may have its own frequency band.

Sounds like EtherMagic is aimed more at the general consumer, and may not be (initially?) managable from a UniFi controller.

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 7

Re: EtherMagic

You can wait for a while for that... 

ethermagic.jpg

Kudos: 154
Solutions: 10

I am so stoked for this. We deal with people all the time who do not want to pay / or wait for cable drops. We have been forcing multiple powerlines on to one network/power grid as a quickfix. Having the ability to do it the right way is going to save me so much hassle.
Kudos: 49

Anything official yet other than the app showing up in the store? 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 335

Any word on when this might show in stores or distribution?

Kudos: 130
Solutions: 6

+1
Kudos: 1

I've never used Ethernet over power line before from any vendor. Is this only a ptp bridge or can one create a LAN with these?
SuperUser
Kudos: 9475
Solutions: 578
Contributions: 1

J-P wrote:
I've never used Ethernet over power line before from any vendor. Is this only a ptp bridge or can one create a LAN with these?

This has been around for many years in several forms actually, from a number of vendors.   About 10 years ago I had several units that could do in excess of 80Mb in a LAN-like layer-2 system throughout the house.   So it's a pretty well known technology.   That said UBNT's version has a number of improvements and functions that will make it very useful for many folks...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 153

eejimm wrote:

J-P wrote:

This has been around for many years in several forms actually, from a number of vendors.   About 10 years ago I had several units that could do in excess of 80Mb in a LAN-like layer-2 system throughout the house.   So it's a pretty well known technology.   That said UBNT's version has a number of improvements and functions that will make it very useful for many folks...

Jim

Yes. These are very common. A lot of out customers use them due to missing network cabling in there homes. Depening on the installation these systems have problem with the bad quality of the inhouse power cables. Some electric devices put distortion signals on the cables.

If there is a coax network for sat inhouse distribution it is better to use this with ethernet to coax adapters as quality of coax cables is much better.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

I'm assuming with that date of 5/20 coming up we may hear something soon about this. I was just looking into costing running cables throughout my new home for a new Ubiquiti NVR system, but this makes me pause. If it works well this can save me some serious money in labor and drywall repair/paint.

Very curious to hear more.

Kudos: 170
Solutions: 19

If you want to do something, do it right. For the better part of 10 years I messed about with wireless bridges, and Ethernet over mains power lines before I finally invested in a proper CAT6 network. Now everything just works. All the time. At full speed. There are too many variables with WiFi and Powerline. They are never really anything other than a compromise to let you do something you're not supposed to be able to do and the first time you get a video dropping out or you spot slow file transfers you'll wish you'd just spent the money now and been done with it.
SuperUser
Kudos: 9475
Solutions: 578
Contributions: 1

wja96 wrote:
If you want to do something, do it right. For the better part of 10 years I messed about with wireless bridges, and Ethernet over mains power lines before I finally invested in a proper CAT6 network. Now everything just works. All the time. At full speed. There are too many variables with WiFi and Powerline. They are never really anything other than a compromise to let you do something you're not supposed to be able to do and the first time you get a video dropping out or you spot slow file transfers you'll wish you'd just spent the money now and been done with it.

Wouldn't go that far, but yes in general ethernet wiring is the best way to go.   But if your building is 500 years old ans made of solid stone with no way to pull cables there are limits to what you can do...

JIm

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)
Emerging Member

For my situation, it's not that I can't eventually pay to have cables pulled (new home) but as a interim (or perhaps longer depending on how well it works) solution, this fits VERY nicely into what I need it for. Old owners had powerline networking in place to run cameras both inside and out, and it seems like a great solution to start out with. I'll pick these up when they hit BETA for sure. Excited to test them.

Kudos: 1

Can information about the product highlights be shared now?
Emerging Member

Was curious about that as well. Keeping my eyes peeled for info.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 3

Well, the kit is on the Beta store, so we can expect an announcement shortly!

That price point is enough to keep me out for now, wonder what retail willl be. I'll wait to hear what others have to say about it.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 3

Worth noting that you get 4 units for that price - 1 "switch" and 3 "endpoints" - which isn't actually all that bad. Hopefully the retail price isn't the usual 2x-beta-store price as I don't seem to be able to order a kit using an int'l CC anymore (despite having a US shipping address, the "AVS result is declined by user" Man Sad )

Emerging Member

Ordered one right away. Been looking for his for a new video system in my new home so this will be perfect. Excited to test it. Price is higher but I know the quality of my other UBNT gear so I have no issue investing in this!
Established Member
Kudos: 181
Solutions: 28

eejimm wrote:

Wouldn't go that far, but yes in general ethernet wiring is the best way to go.   But if your building is 500 years old ans made of solid stone with no way to pull cables there are limits to what you can do...

JIm

We all own a castle...

Muestra tu agradecimiento, a quienes te ayudaron, con un kudo

Si el post de un compañero te ayudó a resolver el problema, márcalo/acéptalo como solución. .

It is good practice to use the correct channel size for your deployment, as your only looking for ~130mbs of throughput, it would be a good idea to move down to a 20mhz channel. This will increase your signal, reduce noise, and provide a better experience.