Highlighted
Kudos: 2

Next Gen AP - include Zigbee Radio

Please consider including a Zigbee radio on both 2.4Ghz and 915 Mhz on any new upcoming AP.

Thank you.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1813
Solutions: 58

Re: Next Gen AP - include Zigbee Radio

Why? What talks to a Zigbee radio? What's the advantage here? How would you convince Ubiquiti to design this in because so far I don't think you have succeeded Man Happy

Not sure if you are asking because you don't know, or you would like an elaborate explanation provided to Ubiquiti and don't want to type it yourself.

Please clarify.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1813
Solutions: 58

I have no idea what advantage Zigbee provides, and I've never seen any hardware that supports it.

Kudos: 42
Solutions: 2

Agreed. Why Zigbee? Zigbee is has absolutely zero use in providing internet services to the homes. It was designed for IoT, and has zero use for last mile access to your other devices. It's VERY low bandwidth. Designed to be reliable enough to pass dial-up like connections for communication to adjust various electronics in your home or elsewhere on your property. It can pass enough data to report temps, update settings, ect, but good luck using it to even browse the internet, stream a video, or anything else in that matter.

Why, because Ubiquiti is not just in the space of internet service to the home, it services small business and is rapidly approaching the realm of enterprise-grade equipment. 

Zigbee is one of the open standards that is written around 802.15.4 guidelines and has been widely adopted by the IOT sector. 

What can you do with Zigbee or any other low data rate solution is to collect data? 

Data such as room occupancy, room temperature, door usage,  locks in the home space, condensation on AC units, leak detection, the current draw of devices. I am sure there are plenty more examples of building infrastructure automation or alerting that can be thought of. 

Since Zigbee also operate in the 2.4Ghz space why not make the AP aware so the shared 2.4Ghz space can be more appropriately managed. 

I would never imagine using Zigbee to pass any kind of streaming traffic. The idea is to keep the low data rate devices off of the WiFi.

Kudos: 42
Solutions: 2

@crhoadsI'm not trying to attack you, just trying to get you to be more precise in what you are asking. So what you are really requesting is that UBNT create a zigbee compatible Unifi device (and likely an entire line, as I see no reason why you would waste the development on just the main AP when they could expand it to a number of other products) so that you can manage your zigbee network through your UniFi controller (at least to some extent). I could see this being useful, but not entirely necessary (debateable). Useful for helping your UniFi network become compatible to a lot of different IoT devices, but to some extent I see it could be counter productive from a sales stand point. Most of these devices have counterparts that can operate over normal wifi and don't need to use the zigbee chip. Still, depending on the person...

No attach taken, 

but why not keep an open mind about airspace management and how IOT networks such as zigbee may affect the performance in the 2.4 space, especially since 2.4 is getting a revamp in 802.11ax that it did not receive in AC.

Zigbee and other IOT devices have a limited range indoors, every device needs a hub to connect to or form part of a mesh. 

A small selling point with potential large market capture, especially in the building and campus management networks. 

If Aruba and other vendors are including Zigbee radios should Ubiquiti at least not investigate the business opportunity.

It would be a better idea to include the thread protocol. This has backing from both Google and Apple. It’s essentially 802.11.15 with ipv6, native mesh topology and standardised security (like wpa but not). All of the Nest product line support it and will most likely be the basis for the next decade in IOT.