Kudos: 3

Product Suggestion: POE Injector with mini UPS

Extension or additional product that replaces the POE injector with a POE injector with a mini UPS inside.

We have a fair few installtions with the following setup where it would be useful to survive a 10min+ power outage, if only to upload the footage.

injector > nano switch > mesh point + unifi camera.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1975
Solutions: 152

Re: Product Suggestion: POE Injector with mini UPS

Would you prefer 24V or 54V?

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

24v, in a similar form factor to the nano switch, but replacing the POE injector.

Dont know what the EP-24v-72W is because its a hidden beta, but it does sound promising. However I notice the EP-54v-150W is not a UPS i.e. it doesnt have a battery backup.

Like this https://www.msdist.co.uk/mikrotik/power-over-ethernet/mups#Product-Specifications but with more WATTS and in the UK please. That price is silly, I would expect it to be in the £100 ball park.

Mains in, 802.3af out with battery backup with enough watts to run 1x nano, 1x mesh, 2x G3 cameras.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1975
Solutions: 152

@FPS_IT_Dept wrote:

Dont know what the EP-24v-72W is because its a hidden beta, but it does sound promising.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Sign-Up-for-Early-Access

These are indoor devices.  Steel chassis with a half-width rack format.  Two Ethernet ports with switchable PoE plus two high current DC outputs (5.5mm barrel jacks via terminal block), and UNMS support.

I notice the EP-54v-150W is not a UPS i.e. it doesnt have a battery backup.

Both versions provide battery backup via a user-supplied 12V SLA battery.  Choose the size based on your load and holding time requirements.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

What would be cool with a backup POE injector is for it to be a mini Lithium battery in side the poe injector that makes it able to hold up a 5-10w load for a few minutes. Enough to holdover for small outages less than 15min. For the battery think 18650 size (about 7-9Wh capacity) so that it is user replaceable.

24V would be a great starting point but 48V would work as well as you can use the existing converters.

Even better would be a "HD" Version that had 2 POE ports so that you can easily have an AP and a camera for example, with only 1 AC cord. Note I done mean a switched device just back to back injectors in the one case. I would love one of these with out a battery as well...

An outdoor version would be neat as well, with built in battery.

Andrew

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 1

@agilbett wrote:

An outdoor version would be neat as well, with built in battery.

*But replaceable battery...