Highlighted
Kudos: 8

WPA3 for existing Unifi family ?

Hello, Is there a way that we can get WPA3 for existing Unifi family in the future ? thank you, Petr.

Kudos: 1

Re: WPA3 for existing Unifi family ?

I come from the future, ubiquiti company, will create its own encryption .... wpa4

Kudos: 273
Solutions: 17

respaldogc wrote:

I come from the future, ubiquiti company, will create its own encryption .... wpa4

I come from the future, where people still use WEP while complaining the NSA is monitoring all their traffic.

WPA3 is real think - I only wonder if it can be deployed over firmware or it is HW feature

Kudos: 273
Solutions: 17

There is no difference in hardware on level of radio.  The encryption most probably will require additional cpu cycles but besides of that there is no reason why this couldn't be implemented with a firmware update.

Don't expect this to come tomorrow though.  It will take years before this will be readily available on client equipment so vendors might not feel the urge to jump to the wagon immediately.  Like all new client/server technologies it's going to be a cat/mouse game.

On top of that, it doesn't seem that WPA2 and WPA3 can co-exist in the same AP (unconfirmed guess though).  Sadly this might prolongue implementation even more.

Established Member
Kudos: 578
Solutions: 13

It's a fair question, but WPA3 isn't official yet, so doing something now might break something when it is official.  Beyond that, once WPA3 is ready, I believe UBNT will support it promptly.  They've historically been good about things like that.  

SuperUser
Kudos: 1771
Solutions: 55

If it requires encryption techniques that are not already implemented in hardware, then don't expect to see it on current hardware.

SuperUser

On the other hand, if the bulk encryption with AES stays the same, but other parts of the protocol are improved, then it definitely could be as simple as a firmware update.

Kudos: 29
Solutions: 1

The main difference between WAP2 and WAP3 is that in WAP2 although your communications with the AP are encrypted everyone on the same AP is using the same set of keys and you can sniff all the other traffic through the AP. It's like being on a 10Base2 or 10Base5 network, or a 10BaseT network with a hub. With WAP3 everyone on the AP's traffic is encrypted with their own set of keys, so it's like being on a switched network.

My guess is that the majority of clients and AP's can be upgraded in software. Almost all clients can certainly be upgraded in software because they are all software to being with. How quickly this happens will depend on the vendors.

EDPR wrote:

respaldogc wrote:

I come from the future, where people still use WEP while complaining the NSA is monitoring all their traffic.

I come from the present, where people complain about having to enter a key to join the network.

That's not actually true. WPA2 uses unique keys for each user. It is possible though if you have the password to man in the middle the connection to decrypt it, but once you miss the key exchange (and if you don't man in the middle it! Intercepting it isn't enough), then it's secure with a unique key that rotates regularly.

WPA2 has multiple encryption keys. One is used for broadcast/multicast traffic and other traffic going to all clients. Then each client also has a unique key for their private traffic.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 3

Now that the WPA3 spec seems to be finalized, it would be interesting to hear from Ubiquiti whether or not we will be able to upgrade our existing UAPs to WPA3.

https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-alliance-introduces-wi-fi-certified-wpa3-security

This will be intresting to follow, i hope they deploy WPA3 for older products as well. 

Kudos: 26

@EDPR wrote:

There is no difference in hardware on level of radio.  The encryption most probably will require additional cpu cycles but besides of that there is no reason why this couldn't be implemented with a firmware update.

Don't expect this to come tomorrow though.  It will take years before this will be readily available on client equipment so vendors might not feel the urge to jump to the wagon immediately.  Like all new client/server technologies it's going to be a cat/mouse game.

On top of that, it doesn't seem that WPA2 and WPA3 can co-exist in the same AP (unconfirmed guess though).  Sadly this might prolongue implementation even more.

I would expect separate SSIDs, not separate APs
Kudos: 4

If you read the white paper you will see that

1) WPA3 can coexist with WPA2 on the same SSID and network

2) No new hardwaeh should be required

So I would think/hope that Unifi devices should support it in the future probably in the same time frame as Android/IOS. 

Kudos: 2

Most of these products are marketed as enterprise grade with use cases for 100's or even thousand of AP's in large deployments. I highly doubt that they will abandon those customers and tell them to buy new hardware to support the WPA standard. I fully expect them to support WPA3 via a firmware upgrade on existing devices when it becomes mainstream. 

Came here after the recent press to see if my love for Ubiquiti will flourish or be crushed 😂

Stay tuned to find out...

Kudos: 3

Their conspicuous silence is frightening.

Actually, they've stated on Reddit that yes WPA3 is coming and they'll announce more details soon. Follow /r/Ubiquiti.

SuperUser

1. The most Ubiquiti has said is that "We'll say something in the future"

2. The reason they can't say anything now is because the WPA3 spec has no traction in the real world and the spec itself is incomplete.

Everyone here pushing for "answers" from Ubiquiti and talking about the "conspicuous lack of answer" and all this baloney is acting ridiculous and absurd. 

The standard is early, there is nothing implementing it, but OH BOY, if Ubiquiti doesn't STEP UP TO THE PLATE THEN I NEED TO FIND A NEW ENTERPRISE WIRELESS VENDOR... heh... ok...