Hello world! A gigabit setup from scratch - help! :)

Hi all, 

I'm David. Completely new to networks, but I want to learn - hoping you awesome people can give me direction. I've tried several topics here already written on the subject of beginners and Ubiquiti setups, but I still don't feel comfortable enough to dive into it.

I am in Zurich, recently ordered a gigabit connection from the Init7 ISP, but with none of their default hardware as I believe a better (than their default) setup is possible with a bit of effort. So, my current state is a soon-to-be-activated connection, an OTO socket in the wall, and an idea of what I would like to achieve.

I am in a loft apartment, with a ~40 m2 living room, another ~20 m2 bedroom above, and a same size roof terrace above the bedroom. Lots of drywall and wood, not that much concrete, and not many residents in my building or the ones around, so I guess it shouldn't be difficult to have a decent WiFi setup in the apartment and on the roof.

One, possibly two, desktop machines should have access to ~1Gbit, so I guess those should have a wired connection. The rest, on WiFi, will be two laptops and two phones, perhaps a TV/PS4 in the near future. Possibly a few more phones/laptops of any guests, but that's about it, not that many concurrent and frequent clients. 

My uneducated idea would be to just get an EdgeRouter X SFP and plug it into the OTO socket, and then an AP into the PoE router... setup wired plus one wireless (5GHz?) connections for private devices and work requirements, and one (2.4Ghz?) for a guest network ... but not sure I am on the right track. So, yeah... help? 

In the end, I just want a decent wireless signal in two rooms and on the roof, mostly for video calls with my family, browsing, streaming. Would also be very nice to learn the "what and why" of the whole setup, instead of just having someone else do it. 

Tell me what to read, learn, and eventually which hardware to get and how to proceed.

Many thanks in advance! 

Cheers!

Kudos: 4557
Solutions: 1185

Re: Hello world! A gigabit setup from scratch - help! :)

Hello @David4theWolrd,

Welcome to the community!

What UAP are you looking at?

I recommend broadcasting the same SSID on both bands.

Could you post your floorplans?

You may want to look at AmpliFi aswell.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

Hi @AmazedMender16  

Thanks! Somehow I knew you'd be the first to reply, seeing the other beginner topics Man Happy 

Probably NanoHD, unless I get a better suggestion (like AmpliFi setup) =)

For now, I just want to confirm the basic choice of a gigabit modem/router for fiber and how to connect it, as I don't have anything other than the wall OTO socket Man Very Happy ... In the past I never did anything more than connect a wireles router to a box from an ISP Man Sad 

Note: the ISP said the following for the needed router:

* Gigabit WAN, DHCP, 1310–1550nm, has to support IGMP Proxy in order to have their TV package; 

* Simplex single-mode cable as patch cable LC/PC to LC/APC, compatible with SFP optic

* 1 Gbit single-fibre SFP transceiver (10 km/TX1310/RX1490–1550 nm)

So, for example, I guess, from OTO socket, via fibre-optic patch cable (LC/APC to SC/PC to SFP module)  to EdgeRouter X SFP, and from it to the AmpliFi setup... ? Would that be correct? 

P.S. I can draw the flor plan when I come back from work Man Happy 

Cheers!

David

Hello @David4theWolrd,

Does your ISP allow you to plug your own router into their connection?

The ER can't power the UAP NanoHD, you will need to use a EdgeSwitch/UniFi Switch with POE+ or use a POE injector.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

Yes, they do. Basically, from the wall OTO socket, literally everything is up to me. 

Sorry it took a long time to edit the previous post, so here's the info: 

The ISP said the following for the needed router:

* Gigabit WAN, DHCP, 1310–1550nm, has to support IGMP Proxy in order to have their TV package; 

* Simplex single-mode cable as patch cable LC/PC to LC/APC, compatible with SFP optic

* 1 Gbit single-fibre SFP transceiver (10 km/TX1310/RX1490–1550 nm)

So, for example, I guess, from OTO socket, via fibre-optic patch cable (LC/APC to SC/PC to SFP module)  to something that meets the requirements, and from that to the AmpliFi setup... ? Would that be correct? 

Or should I take a different approach?  

Thank you for taking the time and having patience Man Happy

[ Edited ]

Hello @David4theWolrd,

Go with the ER X SFP, skip AmpliFi as it's also a router.

Are you able to hardwire the UAPs?

Take a look for IGMP Proxy here.

I would get a ER X SFP or EdgeRouter 6p with a EdgeSwitch/UniFi Switch (POE ) and hardwire UAPs.

Regards,
Glenn R.