Accepted Solution

Hoping to be a Ubiquiti newbie soon, but first a question...

Hi all, I have a fairly simple home network that I'd like to improve.  See my diagram below.  My current internet speed is ~290Mbps but I might upgrade to 1Gbps in the future.  My goals are (1) to provide better wifi coverage and (2) to better isolate my IoT/guest devices (Echo, security cams, etc.).

For the first goal, I am considering disabling my Netgear router's wifi and adding a UniFi AP at the top center ceiling of the house.

For the second goal, I am not sure whether I need to switch to an Edgerouter or not.  How much can the AP itself isolate devices on a guest network?  All of the guides and videos for setting up the APs assume that you're using an Edgerouter or Ubnt Gateway; but can I get away with keeping my Netgear router and having the AP isolate guests on a second SSID?

I'm also trying to figure out how much of a problem my physical layout is.  Specifically, I want to put the AP upstairs, away from the router, but there is just one ethernet connection that leads up there.  If I use an Edgerouter downstairs, would I be able to use a VLAN for the AP or a wired device upstairs, even though the AP or device is connected to the unmanaged switch upstairs?  (Or do I just need to use a managed switch upstairs?)

Thanks for reading!

-Jake

new doc 2018-09-13 16.06.45-1.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 808
Solutions: 260

Re: Hoping to be a Ubiquiti newbie soon, but first a question...

Hello @jakew8,

Yeah you can push all vlans over one cable/port.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Professional Services | Paid Hosted Controllers | GlennR.nl
USG-4-PRO
USW-24-POE-250W • USW-24 • USW-8
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello @jakew8,

Welcome to the community!

If you fully want to isolate your guests you will need to create a VLAN, you will need to make sure that your SWITCH and ROUTER support VLANS.

You could disable the netgear wireless and use a UAP instead, but to get beter coverage you might need multiple UAPs.

The ER4 is an awesome piece of hardware.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO
Highlighted

Forgive my ignorance: If I use two managed switches--one upstairs and one downstairs--can I connect them via a single trunk cable (i.e., my in-wall ethernet) and have all VLANs use that cable?

Hello @jakew8,

Yeah you can push all vlans over one cable/port.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO