Highlighted

New to UBNT and one question regarding the Unifi control center

Hi all !

We use to have and resell Cisco Meraki for years, and are walking away from it.

I cannot stand the over-expensive yearly license principle. Looking around, I found Ubiquiti networks.

So I ordered a couple of switches to slowly replace what we have in our office first, and get a touch of it.

I have a question regarding the Control center. I installed it on my macOS, and can only discover data gear when my mac is directly connected to the device. Is this what needs to be done everytime (connecting directly to devices in order to discover them?)

Is there a way to see all my data gear from a WWW interface, when I am not at the office, if there is no UniFi Controller running on the network ? (Kind of like Meraki.. ) Or is a UniFi Controlled needed on every network I am going to manage ? 

Can you do as much from the online interface as you can do on the controller itself on a computer ? 

if I connect online, I see our office (the controller I imagine) but no data gear. If I launch "START" it wants to go to a URL which I did not setup in the controller setup. <- Does this mean I need to ass a subdomain for every site I manage ? 

If one of you is in NJ and know a lot about UBNT, I'd love to stop by and chat a little. 

Thank you all

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 125
Solutions: 42

Re: New to UBNT and one question regarding the Unifi control center

@fgc92210 wrote:

Hi all !

We use to have and resell Cisco Meraki for years, and are walking away from it.

I cannot stand the over-expensive yearly license principle. Looking around, I found Ubiquiti networks.

So I ordered a couple of switches to slowly replace what we have in our office first, and get a touch of it.

I have a question regarding the Control center. I installed it on my macOS, and can only discover data gear when my mac is directly connected to the device. Is this what needs to be done everytime (connecting directly to devices in order to discover them?)

Is there a way to see all my data gear from a WWW interface, when I am not at the office, if there is no UniFi Controller running on the network ? (Kind of like Meraki.. ) Or is a UniFi Controlled needed on every network I am going to manage ? 

Can you do as much from the online interface as you can do on the controller itself on a computer ? 

if I connect online, I see our office (the controller I imagine) but no data gear. If I launch "START" it wants to go to a URL which I did not setup in the controller setup. <- Does this mean I need to ass a subdomain for every site I manage ? 

If one of you is in NJ and know a lot about UBNT, I'd love to stop by and chat a little. 

Thank you all

@fgc92210  Welcome to the community!

Make sure your MAC firewall is turned off or the 8080 port is open.  

Have you tried to manually set the inform from the devices?  

You can remotely access your controller from the SSO/Cloud account in the controller settings.  Once configured you can access it from unifi.ubnt.com with the account credentials.

You can create individual "sites" within the controller.  Log into the controller, at the top right there is "current site", click on the that and add a site.

Thanks,

Jeff

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team
"I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think." - Socrates

Kudos: 501
Solutions: 151

Hello @fgc92210,

Welcome to the community forums!

You could have 1 server running the controller software, and use L3 adoption to adopt devices from other sites.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO
USW-24-POE-250W • USW-24 • USW-8
UAP-HD • UAP-AC-PRO
Emerging Member
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 3

Setup a digital ocean server and run it in the cloud. Takes less than 5 minutes to setup. For $5/month you can get a droplet that's more than enough. The power savings from not leaving your mac running constant will pay for it.