Kudos: 135
Solutions: 12

Bug(?): Can't connect to server

[ Edited ]

I recently installed AC2 on a server.
My college can reach the server remote from his computer, but I can't do it.

The only message I get is: Can't connect to server.

I've tried to disable the firewall and try again, but with no result.

I've tried to open the ip with port 9081 in the webbbrowser and I got the "Welcome to Ubiquiti airControl 2" message, so the server is open to incoming connections.

I then tried to install a local server on my own PC to se if I could connect to it.
But I'm still stuck with Can't connect to server.

There's no delay or loading time, just jumps right on to that error.

Can someone help?

EDIT:

Server Hardware: Older rack server from Dell, 4 GB ram dual core intel brand processor etc.
Server OS: Windows Server 2008
Java version: Oracle JRE 7

Client Hardware: core i3 dual-core 4GB RAM
Client OS: Windows 8.1
Java version: Oracle JRE 7
Topology Layout: Client is in a NAT, have to connect to a WAN IP. Different subnets

Re: Can't connect to server

Try a different browser on your pc or clear the cache. I had this type of issue and it sorted it out.

I'm running the stand alone client, which do not run in a browser.

Tried to open the firewall and reinstall the AC2 client.

[ Edited ]

Sorry I was not thinking. I forgot we had to use the client.  It was with you saying you had used the browser.

Kudos: 1

I have exactly the same problem. I have one computer on in my office that can connect without any problem and two others that just get the can't connect to server message every time.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1822
Solutions: 173
Contributions: 9

There is a Client Log on the Client PC,

Linux has these logs located in home dir : ~/.AirControl2/logs

Please see if there are any further information in them about this issue.

/Paetur

I am running on a Windows Client, and I found a folder in: C:\Program Files\Ubiquiti Networks\airControl2

But I can't find a logs directory.

May it be somewhere else?

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

razr wrote:

I am running on a Windows Client, and I found a folder in: C:\Program Files\Ubiquiti Networks\airControl2

But I can't find a logs directory.

May it be somewhere else?

Try these:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\.AirControl2\logs

Windows 7: C:\Users\<your user name>\.AirControl2\logs

Substitute your user name for <your user name>. Also there is a . (dot) before AirControl2

Barry

[ Edited ]

I found it now.

Seems like the logs directory only installs when you install the server.

But the log dir is empty though... I'll see if I can get a look at the log dir on the server itself

EDIT:

I got this out from the logs on the server after trying to connect:

2014.01.13-10:53:16 [SRV] DEBUG: Reading incoming requests...
2014.01.13-10:53:19 [SRV] DEBUG: Reading incoming requests...
2014.01.13-10:53:19 [SRV] DEBUG: RPC clnt:"<my own ip adress>-<subnet>" WRITER started
2014.01.13-10:53:19 [SRV] DEBUG: ACKK:: ac.a(..) request handled OK for RPC clnt:"<my own ip adress>-<subnet>" in 0,  sentBytes 55
2014.01.13-10:53:20 [SRV] DEBUG: Exiting request-handler RPC clnt:"<my own ip adress>-<subnet>"
2014.01.13-10:53:20 [SRV] DEBUG: Exiting RPC party RPC clnt:"<my own ip adress>-<subnet>" due to socket error
2014.01.13-10:53:20 [SRV] DEBUG: Exiting RPC clnt:"<my own ip adress>-<subnet>" WRITER

Seems like it's exiting due to a socket error, but even with the firewall turned off it still messes up.

Seems like my college found a solution.

Apparently I need to be Domain Admin in my office network in order to connect to it.

Is this some kind of bug? Because We shouldn't actually need to have such high privilieges to connecto to the server, right?

SuperUser
Kudos: 1822
Solutions: 173
Contributions: 9

razr wrote:

Apparently I need to be Domain Admin in my office network in order to connect to it.

Is this some kind of bug? Because We shouldn't actually need to have such high privilieges to connecto to the server, right?

Funny ... People on here give Java a hard time, but use winblows... Not saying your one of them, btw... 
Just realy not a fan of the Micro$oft brand.

Time to install the AC2 on a proper Linux server and be done with it .... 

If you need help with domain privs. my guess is you need to look into what privs. the AC2 service is installed with and such ...

/Paetur

I would use Linux if I could, the thing is that we use a Windows server network with AD and all that.

I agree, Linux is easier to get working. But we'ere kind of locked in with this.
Maybe I'll get a solution on this in some way anyhow.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Its the second time for me thar Aircontrol Server Fails on a linux box, so ... I guess is not the only cause.

Paetur wrote:

razr wrote:

Funny ... People on here give Java a hard time, but use winblows... Not saying your one of them, btw... 

If you need help with domain privs. my guess is you need to look into what privs. the AC2 service is installed with and such ...

/Paetur

Paetur wrote:

razr wrote:

/Paetur

Kudos: 705
Solutions: 9

we went through this today on 4 PC's, had to manually download the client (wouldnt' auto-update from the new beta22 server), and then also had to download and install new specific java version

Kudos: 27

i get this and have to just restart the service in Services.msc and it lets me in, not sure of some session component hangs or what. I spun up a VM and installed it in centos and can connect to that empty one without any issues. Ill move the devices later this week to see if its got to do with devices

Re: Bug(?): Can't connect to server

Had same issue when trying to run the client on the server. Had to connect with 127.0.0.1Man Tongueort loopback address.