Highlighted

restoring controller software for already configured APs

Hi community,

eventhough I have already read that it is possible to restore backups, I have to know if I can re-access already configured APs when restoring on a different laptop, here is my case:

I have just ordered some UAP-M mesh accesspoints to try out the mesh WIFI and just wanted to ask a question:

I want to run the controller software on my computer. I know that when I configure all the APs with the controller on my computer, I cannot access these APs with a different controller lets say from my laptop, is that correct? It should say something like "this device is managed by another controller" or something like that if I remember correct. Is that correct? Question number two: If I backup the settings from my computers controller and restore it in the controller on the laptop, can I then access the APs with the restored settings on the laptops controller? I just want to make sure that I do not have to re-setup everything if my computer crashs because the APs cannot be configured by another conroller. I am NOT using the cloud key, that is why I want the manual backup and restore method.

Thanks and regards,

Kai

SuperUser
Kudos: 8026
Solutions: 1301

Re: restoring controller software for already configured APs

[ Edited ]

1> you are correct; yes: you are correct

2> yes you can; only one controller online at a time; both controllers must

have the same IP address and netmask

3> even with CloudKey you should make backups;

that product name doesn't imply automatic backups

to the cloud      Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

[ Edited ]

ok, so far so good. with IP-address do you mean the same base (192.168.1.x) or the real IP (192.168.1.222 if that was the one from the crashed PC)? so I can just download the backup-file (.unf), store it safely and then I will always be able to restore that file to ANY computer in the network (only controller running, cause the first PC crashed, IP address mentioned above)? What about the version, should I also safe the installer.exe from the .unf-file-version or are they comaptible? lets say I backup now and have to restore in a year and will not update the original controller and .unf-backup to the version arrived in that one year?

Regards,
Kai

SuperUser
Kudos: 8026
Solutions: 1301

Yes: the specific IP address of the original controller.

Otherwise, you have to reconfigure each access point

using a 'set-inform' command.

I can't assure that a new controller version will always

accept an older ..UNF file, but it seems to be the case.

At worst, you might have to upgrade controllers in a

staged fashion. Don't worry--be happy.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com