Aircube AC Wireless Bridging

Is it possible to bridge an AirCube AC to an existing wireless network? or do they only bridge to another AirCube?

I've tried everything I can think of on both an Asus and 2-Wire WiFi routers with no luck. I am running the latest firmware  Maybe this POS is broken?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17

Re: Aircube AC Wireless Bridging

Would love to know this too

Kudos: 5

They do appear to have a repeater option (in addition to the AP setting) on the web UI wireless configuration options that suggest they do this but I havent tested it.

I do also have an air cube AC bridged to a draytek and that is working OK too

Emerging Member

I have never gotten these to repeat the signal before. Specifically, I have tried getting them to repeat the signal of a unifi ap

Apologies, I may have mislead with my draytek comment - I have the airCube AC bridged to the draytek by wire and that works fine.  I did some testing to bridge and repeat wirelessly and like you, I couldnt get that to work either.  Sorry if I mislead.

I don't think my AirCube AC didn't repeat the signal either. None of the IPs I assigned to the AirCube, laptop or IP camera would register on my network. 

I am hoping to make a wireless bridge to my garage for some IP cameras. Running cable is not really an option as I would have about 120' of buried cable.

Eventually I may do a longer bridge(guessing about 1000') to a remote location if I can get this to work.

Emerging Member

I fond this incredibly frustrating. There is no need to require WDS for the source AP (not to mentioned this is not the year 2005)

If this worked, like any other repeater, it would be the PERFECT solution for so many use cases. Specifically since you can make one band or the other be the uplink. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

This feature was really designed for a WISP to be able to provide whole-home Wi-Fi to a client, not to interwork with existing Wi-Fi APs or repeaters.
Emerging Member

not to tell your business. But that's what unifi is for

this is not the right product for that

If this is for WISP and not to connect to existing WiFi APs, then don't state that's what it does in the product description.

Can you only bridge between AirCubes? If it can't do that then Ubiquiti has misrepresented this product and it is a POS that I've wasted my money on.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that has some better information on what this AirCube can really do.

Emerging Member

Well, I am not saying all the same thing as the last poster. 

But, I do think it’s important that it’s made clear these can only use WDS in uplink mode. 

‘’Are there any plans to make them able to repeat any WiFi AP?

Ubiquiti Employee

There are no plans to update or expand the mesh functionality.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

I have 1000 Mikrotik hAP AC Lite doing this. UBNT is losing this business (I will put in a order for 100 the day they can.) 

Bill

Emerging Member

While I understand its not my call. It really seems like this is a great example of a good time to listen to your customers.

Allow the device to repeat any wifi signal (without using WDS), like every device in the world that can bridge, is a good idea and would make this device significantly more useful. 

Ubiquiti Employee

Guys, message received and I can understand the usefulness of this feature. However I cannot make promises for it at this time.
Kudos: 1

We re also requesting this Feature!

since your airrouter products are eol, what are the working products in "ap client mode"?

regards, Bernhard 

Which devices should be used if we have lan-only devices to bridge to wlan. AC series unify vs airmax have compatibility issues...

Thats something, that was already working well, but now...???
Ubiquiti Employee

Can you use UniFi?

hi,

in some cases we can use unify ap as uplink.

but in outdoor scenarios?

in legacy scenarios?