Kudos: 1

Aircube ISP wireless speeds suddenly extremely slow

Have been using the Aircube for a few weeks and wifi performance has been, if  not great, at least  acceptable. Usually get 6-7 mbps on wifi though 25-35 when cabled.  Now, just  this afternoon, wifi is down to 300bps though cabled is still  around 10-12mpbs.  Looked at spectrum and moved Aircube to vacant channel (11) but no difference.  Nothing else has changed.  AP signal strength to the Loco is the same.  Any thoughs most appreciated!  Thanks.

Kudos: 797
Solutions: 193

Re: Aircube ISP wireless speeds suddenly extremely slow

You are using a Loco to connect to an Aircube?

If so, is the Loco outside? How far away?

Please share the main tab of the Loco, that's likely where the problem is.

Thanks! I will have to research again to figure out how to access and share the loco tab.  Not really a tech guy!  Still getting 25mbps cabled and less than 1mbps via wireless.  So, seems the loco is passing good speeds to the AirCube?  3 leds lit on the loco so have good signal.  Loco is in my camper on the window.  Will get tab info later today hopefully.  Thanks again.

[ Edited ]

LocoMain.JPGThis is the main tab on the loco right now. Getting 30 mbps speed connected to the loco LAN port. Thanks!! 

Still no luck getting the Aircube to provide decent wireless speeds.  I may be missing something?  Any additional thoughts would be most  appreciated before I send it  back as warranty issue.

Thanks!!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2099
Solutions: 324

I suspect this is a setup issue. Can you post what your setup looks like in detail including distances and materials obstructing the radio path between devices?

Hello!  Thanks for  your reply!  The Nano station is approximately 75 feet  from the access point and shows 3 leds on the back.   The access  point  is inside an adjoining house to there is an exterior wood wall and a fiberglass shell between the AP and  the Nano.  So, there is plenty of wifi signal to the Nano.  Connected via ethernet cable to the Nanostation, I get 30 mbps so plenty of throughput to the Aircube.  But,  essentially zero wireless speed out of the Aircube.    The problem lies in the Aircube itself as far as I can determine.  Thanks again.

Oh also, as previously noted, this configuration performed properly for a month or more before wireless speeds suddenly dropped to nearly zero.

Thanks again.

Established Member
Kudos: 204
Solutions: 8

Hi,

Your post is a little confusing...you are hooking up to your neighbour's wifi?  The SSD you are showing connected to is a TP-LIink router...or that's the SSID they are using, anyways.

The loco is using older firmware, but I suspect that is not the full issue...have you checked for interference?  You may have a new device in the area affecting you.  Did your neighbour relocate the cube to a different spot in their house?  Did you ask for the cube to be rebooted, or reboot your loco?  There are too many variables here, and you definitely DON'T have clear LOS.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Established Member

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Forgot...what firmware is the cube on?  and which version of cube?

Tuckerdog, thanks for  your reply!  Sorry for any confusion!

Here is my setup...  will be using the Nanostation and Aircube in my small travel trailer as  I move around the country for the next year or so.  Presently set up in a friend's yard getting prepped to travel.  So, I am connecting to his router which is the TP-link device.  Nanostation working fine, even inside my fiberglass trailer.  Just can't get the Aircube to function properly via wireless.  Right now,  I'm plugged into the LAN port on the Aircube and get good speeds.  But, very poor speed on wireless.  Firmware on the Aircube is 2.4.0.  In terrms of interference, nothing has changed.  There are some distant wifi signals but the Aircube is far stronger here in the trailer. 

Thanks for your assistance!

@tuckerdog wrote:

Hi,

Your post is a little confusing...you are hooking up to your neighbour's wifi?  The SSD you are showing connected to is a TP-LIink router...or that's the SSID they are using, anyways.

The loco is using older firmware, but I suspect that is not the full issue...have you checked for interference?  You may have a new device in the area affecting you.  Did your neighbour relocate the cube to a different spot in their house?  Did you ask for the cube to be rebooted, or reboot your loco?  There are too many variables here, and you definitely DON'T have clear LOS.

Aircube wifi 102618.png

[ Edited ]

Speed tests showing difference in download speed between wifi connection and ethernet connection to Aircube.  First is via wireless and second is with ethernet connection to Aircube LAN port.  Thanks!

Established Member

Hi,

OK...I get it now.

Are you using the same device to test the wired/wireless?

Established Member

Hey...I just realized...you say the loco and cube are inside your fiberglass trailer?   How far apart from each other are they?  Even thought the loco is centered on channel 6 and the cube is on 11, if they are within 10' of each other, they will mess with each other.

@tuckerdog wrote:

Hi,

OK...I get it now.

Are you using the same device to test the wired/wireless?

Yes same device... Laptop.

@tuckerdog wrote:

Hey...I just realized...you say the loco and cube are inside your fiberglass trailer?   How far apart from each other are they?  Even thought the loco is centered on channel 6 and the cube is on 11, if they are within 10' of each other, they will mess with each other.

Yes, they are both inside the trailer and within 10' of each other.  They have been in the same place for a month or  more and only recently has this problem come up.  I will need to get a longer network cable to separate them.  Certainly worth trying so I will get a cable and see if that improves things.  Still don't know why it worked fine for weeks then stopped but...  It's a really small trailer so getting 10' separation  is a bit of a challenge ;-)   Thanks.

Established Member

Hi,

Believe it or not....fiberglass (glass) is made of silica....rock....hard for radios to go through cleanly....lots of reflections/refractions.

Getting that loco outside fo the trailer is the answer there.

When you move from wire to wireless, do you disconnect the other mode from the laptop to isolate the test...ya know...only one path?

Established Member

Oh, and there are mounts for those locos to mount them on top your trailer...or you could MacGyver something up.  Would be a better place for it when you pull into the camp-grounds, and hookup to their wifi.

@tuckerdog wrote:

Hi,

Believe it or not....fiberglass (glass) is made of silica....rock....hard for radios to go through cleanly....lots of reflections/refractions.

Getting that loco outside fo the trailer is the answer there.

When you move from wire to wireless, do you disconnect the other mode from the laptop to isolate the test...ya know...only one path?

Yes, tested with just the single path active.  Seems the Loco works fine inside as evidenced by the good speeds I get from the Aircube LAN port.  But, I can understand where proximity of the two units could be problematic.  Longer cable will be here Sunday and will try that.

Yeah, probably once I start traveling I will have to find a way to run the cable from outside into the trailer.  I do have the wall/glass mount for the Loco.

Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2099
Solutions: 324

Have you had any luck?