Kudos: 1

Re: Aircube ISP wireless speeds suddenly extremely slow

Well,  I was able to do a bit  of experimenting this evening with somewhat  interesting results.  First,  I moved the Aircube approximately 15 ft away from the Nano.  Connected device in the same place (near the Nano).  No improvement  in wireless speed.  Then I moved the connected device to a location near the Aircube.  Now, really decent  wireless speeds!  In between the two the wireless speed was better than the first  location but not as good as near the Aircube.  Then, leaving the connected device in the location 15 ft from the Nano, I moved the Aircube back near the Nano.  Wireless speeds dropped but not  as much as when the connected device was near the Nano.   

So, anecdotal evidence suggests that  it is proximity of the wirelessly connected device to the Nano that is the biggest issue rather than the separation of the Aircube and the  Nano although that  also had  an effect although a lesser one.

Thinking that  I may have to move the Nano outside the trailer and  put a connector into the trailer.  Will try that  another day.  But, interesting that it is proximity of the connected device to the Nano that is problematic.  Nano is running on a different wifi channel. 

Would welcome any thoughts!  Thanks!

Established Member
Kudos: 203
Solutions: 8

The Nano Stations really "blead" signal and your cube is on the next channel beside it....?  I would try getting opposite ends of I could..

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2091
Solutions: 323

That's very close. How far apart are the channels?

The Nano is on Channel 5 and the Aircube on 9.   It is all installed on a small travel trailer  with a 16 foot cabin so I have really limited space in which to separate things.  Should I try separating the channels more?  Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2091
Solutions: 323

Yeah, and any physical separation should also help.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1885
Solutions: 140

@Ccarlsonnh wrote:

The Nano is on Channel 5 and the Aircube on 9.
Should I try separating the channels more?

Absolutely.

2.4 GHz channels need least five 'channel numbers' difference to allow simultaneous operation:

WIFI_Overlap.png

Established Member
Kudos: 203
Solutions: 8

Hi,

Glad those two stopped by....

Ya, opposite ends of the scale would be nice, but once you're on the road, you won't have the option of choosing the hot-spot frequency coming in, only what the cube is on.

Channels 1,6 and 11 are normally the three used by professionals, as the are known as the non-overlapping in 2.4 GHz.

That said, I see all sorts of folks using WHATEVER.  When you pull in to the next stop, find what the Loco is connecting on, and make sure the cube is set at least 5 channels up or down from that hot-spot one.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."

OK thanks.  When on the road I will not have any control over the the AP the Nano will be connecting to so will have to get whatever channel separation I can.  Will try more channel separation while I'm still here though to see if it makes a difference. Thanks again!