Cannot reset Aircube AC ACB-AC

Hello,

The reset button on the Aircube AC, or one on a POE do nothing.

Please advise,

Thanks

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3689
Solutions: 759
Contributions: 73

Re: Cannot reset Aircube AC ACB-AC

The reset button on the ACB is a bit more recessed than other devices.  I would try resetting with an unfolded paperclip.  How the reset button down for ~10 seconds and you should see the LED light flash.

If that still doesn't work, I would try a TFTP Recovery.

Failing that, I would suggest an RMA.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 168
Solutions: 2

... should the PoE Injector Reset Button method work on the ACBs?

Ubiquiti Employee

@mWare wrote:

... should the PoE Injector Reset Button method work on the ACBs?

No.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Well, I decided to try getting into TFTP some more. Tried a few times, on the third try I actually got a couple of pings out of it. Couldn't TFTP flash it though before it stopped responding. It was still kind of alive. Gave me hope. Kept going for TFTP, probably a dozen more tries, magically while trying to get into TFTP it actually just reset itself.

Good enough. That's what I wanted in the first place.

Would sure be nice if the documentation contained the reset instructions, as well as the TFTP instructions, instead of having to search the forums, since the process is apparently not Ubiquitous.

Ubiquiti Employee

I will request that the quick start guide is updated to include the reset instructions, but as for TFTP, that is found on help.ubnt.com.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 2

I would also like to report that today I had the same issue. Had a ACB-AC that was setup at a previous clients location and it was setup as a AP (not as a router). It was taken out and got it plugged in elsewhere.

Knowing that it was still configured for previous location I attempted to reset it using the reset button and with a paperclip. I felt the button push down and kept it held down for over 30 seconds but light was solid light and would not do anything else. Thankfully I knew the network information from the previous clients location and put in the static information on my computer and was able to log into the device.

I reset the device in the web GUI. I then plugged it into the LAN and tried to set it up in the UNMS app on my phone using the QR Code scanning method but no matter what it would always fail yet I was able to set it up using UNMS out of the box at the clients location previously.

Again - I plugged the device back into my computer with a static and was able to get logged into the device with the default admin password printed next to the QR code and was able to configure it that way. After that it was fine.

Not sure why I wasn't able to factory reset with a paperclip. Then after factory resetting it I wasn't sure why UNMS app wasn't able to configure the device. I do have the device plugged in next to me so if we would like to do additional troubleshooting to figure out what is going on I'm able to do so.

In a few hours I'll attempt to reset the device again to see if I can replicate the push-button reset button issue and the UNMS App issue as well.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Thanks for the feedback. I will try and reproduce this issue here.

So I have attempted to replicate it myself - unfortunately with no sucuess. This time around I was able to factory reset it just fine and the reset button responded as it should when using a paperclip to reset it. I didn't power cycle it after setting up the device so I'll test that as well to see what happens and report back.

As for the UNMS issue I had it was because I had my LAN cable in one of the LAN ports (instead of the WAN port). This is strictly used as an AP and not a router so definitely wouldn't be something someone setting it up as a router with a WAN connection into it would encounter I guess. Kind of weird having the second ethernet port (or the top right port) be the WAN port as well. But I wont make any more excuses - that was totally my fault.

My DHCP server uses 192.168.200.1/24. When the LAN cable was plugged into ethernet port 1 and my phone connected to the airCube default wireless network it got a DHCP address from my DHCP server. Although I question if it is truely from my DHCP server as the airCube seems to likes to hand out a 192.168.1.78 or 79 address to the mobile device it connects to. I didn't corss check this to see if it was something that my DHCP server was aware of. In this case it gave my phone a 192.168.200.79 address. At that point it explains everything in terms of why the phone couldn't manage it. Assumeing the app tries to communicate with the gateway address it recieves from the DHCP server to setup the airCube it certainly wouldn't be able to since my own router was going to recieve any requests from the UNMS app. Unless it was just trying to get to the default IP of 192.168.1.1 of the airCube then of course that won't happen.

But!

Knowing the reason to my problem above and having my LAN cable plugged into the WAN port adoption still didn't go super smooth. It's a pretty minor deal but you have to attempt to manage it twice (on Android 9/Pie with my Pixel 2 XL). The first time you scan the QR code to get the App to join to the airCube wireless it does sucuessfully connect but it fails to login into the device (as shown below).

photo_2018-12-19_18-32-41.jpgphoto_2018-12-19_18-33-36.jpg

photo_2018-12-19_18-33-40.jpg

It does join the network sucuessfully and does get a 192.168.1.79 address to my phone. When I click on the "Log On" button again in the upper right hand corner after seeing the "Device Login Failed" window it sucuessfully connects and logs in. It seems it is having an issue after it connects to the wireless network.

Phone not connected to wireless -> Scan QR Code -> Connects to airCube wireless -> Fails -> Tap on log on -> Works fine

Phone already connected to airCube wireless -> Scan QR code again > works fine

Tell the phone to forget the airCube network -> Scan QR code -> Connects to airCube wireless -> Fails to log on -> Tap log on again -> Works fine

I'm definitely able to regularly replicate that issue on my Android phone.

I tried to see if I could replicate it with my iPad. First thing I noticed was the iPad was never able to discover my nearby devices like it could on the Android app. I had to press the + in the upper right and Scan QR Code. After doing that it logged in just fine. So does seem specific to the Android App.

My unrelated question as well is why have the POE Out on the WAN port? If you were using this device as a router it seems odd to me to have the device providing your rotuer with a WAN connection to be capeable of recieveing POE. I would think it would be more likely to have a LAN device you want powered via POE and you would want it going the other way.. Like injecting PoE into the WAN connection then out ethernet port 1. Just curious on what serenio where that would be useful.

I think the intentions of PoE out on the wan port is for powering the radios that connect to the towers.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1860
Solutions: 138

[ Edited ]

PoE out on WAN only (more properly the lack of PoE in on the WAN port) makes these quite a bit less attractive for use in MDUs.

We'd love to see a hardware refresh with this and some way of securing them to a shelf -- perhaps a threaded insert.  This would also permit a weighted base to be attached.

[ Edited ]

Not sure if from a hardware point of view it is possible feasible to have PoE in and out on one port. What I do know is that these could be dual Wan, with one being in and one being out. 

Seconding the securing to a shelf, as well as the weighted base. Having the cubes orientation and position determined by the network cables is less than desirable. 

Kudos: 168
Solutions: 2

Realistically it wouldn't be too hard to change the role of the PoE in/out ports in software; it'd be a PITA for Ubnt to support given the labelling, but it ought to be doable.

... also the tripod wish has come up before.

... and this thread is now horrendously offtopic Man Wink

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

We cannot change which port is PoE in the current hardware.