Veteran Member
Kudos: 1860
Solutions: 138

Initial Setup Still a Bit Bumpy

Working our way through the first batch of airCube-ISP production hardware, which shipped with v1.0.2.  Take a fresh unit out of the box, plug it in on the bench (24V PoE port with DCHP servers on both tagged management and untagged office LANs).  Scan the QR code ~2 minutes after power-up with UNMS Mobile and we get "device not found on local network."  Quit UNMS Mobile, re-launch, and it rediscovers with an IP on the untagged network.  Log in, update firmware (to v2.2.0 GA in this case) and wait for access to return. Change to router mode.  Update LAN IP to 192.168.108.1/24, manually set DHCP scope, set management credentials, set 'connect to UNMS' and save changes.  UNMS Mobile reconnects, shows the LAN IP.

UNMS Mobile (as of v2.5.6) still doesn't know about channel widths or a management VLAN, so we have to log in to the WebUI and set those.  Disconnect laptop from the office WLAN, connect to the airCube so we can finish the job.  Can't access the airCube LAN IP, so release and renew the adapter, at which poitn we still have an IP from the office LAN.  Go back to UNMS Mobile and try to access there, thinking perhaps the router mode did not stick.  Discover brings up the airCube with the green WIRELESS tag, click on that and the QR scanner appears.  Click on 'login manually' and it asks for an IP.  Type that in along with our management credentials, click login and wait.  No luck.  Go back to laptop and run the UBNT discover tool (which still IDs these as airCams for some reason and it clearly sees the new IP:acb-discovery.png

Finally figure out that the LAN port (with PoE) is the only connection to the office network.  Grab a PoE injector, connect that to the PoE in port, connect a non-PoE cable from the office LAN to the WAN port and finally we have access.

Also -- UNMS Mobile still lacks channel numbers next to the 2.4 frequencies in the dropdown.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Re: Initial Setup Still a Bit Bumpy

Thanks for the continued feedback on this. The setup should be easier when you start seeing new units with v2.0.0+, and we're discussing with the UNMS team on getting the app updated as we speak.
Veteran Member

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
we're discussing with the UNMS team on getting the app updated as we speak.

Thanks -- the ability to set channel width and management VLAN usingthe app will make a huge difference.

Veteran Member

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
we're discussing with the UNMS team on getting the app updated as we speak.

As of v2.7.2 (Android), the UNMS Mobile app still does not appear capable of setting a management VLAN.  This would considerably shorten our initial setup process here.  @UBNT-mj

Ubiquiti Employee

@UBNT-Jindrich can you comment on this please
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 31

Hi @MimCom,

VLAN configuration for airCube is definitelly on our roadmap, but it has low priority at this moment.

For now we decided to have just a basic configuration available in mobile app since there is a limited space on mobile screen and we wanted to keep UI not overwhelmed.

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

We just received a new batch of airCube ISPs (test date 10/23/18) and I don't see any real improvement in the initial setup.  I plugged one in to the TS-5 on the bench we use for configuring equipment, opened up UNMS Mobile (Android v2.11.2), selected airCube Wireless, scanned the QR code, and I see:

Connecting to airCube-EA0

followed by

Device Login Failed
Unable to connect to airCube-EA0

back up and choose airCube ISP on 192.168.1.1 and I see:

Connecting to 192.168.1.1

followed by

Device Login Failed
Unable to connect to 192.168.1.1:443

Log in with a laptop works just fine, though the new labels (white on black, perhaps more like light gray on black) are still challenging to read under less than perfect illumination.  These shipped with v2.0.1 firmware, BTW.

Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks for the feedback @MimCom. @UBNT-mj can you comment on these app login issues?
Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

I just set up another airCube ISP from the same batch. UNS Mobile was able to connect to this one, but scanning the QR code took almost a full minute - the white on black label appears to make decoding more difficult.  I eventually got it to scan by rotating the ACB: halfway between vertical and horizontal the app picked it up.

I set some basic parameters, including a modified LAN IP address and DHCP scope (these still needs to be linked, BTW) and updated credentials.  UNMS Mobile then gets stuck on Reloading device configuration... indefinitely.  Logging out allows UNMS to reassociate and get an updated DHCP lease.  Still no way to get the UNMS version that I can find in the app -- have to look in Android system settings (still version 2.11.2 here).  Still no way to set VLANs (specifically management VLAN in this case) using the app.

Kudos: 36
Solutions: 3

I was at a customer today. set up aircube AC. upgraded to latest release firmware. Changed cube from router to bridged mode. Then it wouldn't let me set a static IP. I could choose static IP and it had the 192.168.1.1 in there, but it wouldn't let me click on and delete the IP to put a new one in. This was in chrome on a mac.

I had to use UNMS on my phone to do this, got it to work then went back to the mac to finish configuring.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks for the feedback guys.