Accepted Solution

Internet Disconnected

Aircube AC with latest official firmware, configured in router mode with WAN port connected to Airmax device but not providing power to it (using Airmax own POE). Aircube gets power from its default jack. Everything works ok but GUI shows "Internet Disconnected" and I cannot understand why.

The device also drops 5GHz clients every couple of days and requires a reboot but perhaps I will open a separate thread for this.

image.png

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 173
Solutions: 42

Re: Internet Disconnected

This is under consideration. The discussion which arose from this thread lead to recognition that pinging is not a great indicator of connectivity, but we have a couple more pressing issues to concern the development with in the very short term future.

Keep an eye out for firmware updates and read the patch notes. It should address this connectivity check within a few versions.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

There is a beta firmware that attempts to address the client disconnection issue noted here:
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airCube/airCube-closed-beta/m-p/2637706/highlight/true#M2293

The UI reporting that the internet is disconnected may be some other issue. Can you demonstrate that the device is still connected to the internet despite the UI?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Yes I am connected to the Internet through the aircube I have both wired and wireless clients connected to the aircube and they are all connected to the internet no problem. It's just that the aircube shows internet disconnected. What can I send you to help you with the identification/investigation of the issue?

Ubiquiti Employee

When you say latest firmware, it is unclear if you mean the beta or not. Is this 2.4.0?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

Capture.PNG

I wonder. What is the logic by which the device decides whether it has internet or not? Is there a resource that its trying to access on the internet? Some other methodology? If we know this we can perhaps understand the problem.

Kudos: 778
Solutions: 191

@UBNT-JoshMcGee  what is the logic that is used to verify connectivity?

Is it an address that is pinged or a hostname that is attempted to recolve?

In either case, what is the address?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 3

I think I had read it uses the ubnt servers.

Can you post your network page, maybe the device has incorrect dns set. Let us take a look.

[ Edited ]

My aircube's WAN configuration looks like this:

image.png

The aircube is connected to a Nanostation (internal address 192.168.1.1) that connects me to my organization's corporate network.

The Nanostation's WAN configuration looks like this:

image.png

The Primary and Secondary DNS servers you see are the corporate internal DNS servers. Before you ask, let me tell you that I have tried other DNS options on the aircube and the nanostation. I have even tried google's 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4. In any case I can resolve anything and everything.
The aircube still shows Internet disconnected though:

image.png

Thanks for trying to help. I am an IT professional so you can speak to me in technical terms if you wish.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 3

I looked over your post from a minute ago, I assume deleted for privacy.

On some of the older units UBNT recommended turning on WDS, have you tried that? I would assume you've also tried the gateway and corporate DNS server settings? I've never had this happen, but I'm thinking it has to do with the nanostation connection thru the corp net.

Just thought I'd throw out some ideas.....also maybe their firewall is providing an issue? Good luck.
Kudos: 778
Solutions: 191

WDS is for bridge mode.

The post is back. I just blanked out my external ip for privacy.

I have tried all that you are recommending in any combination. Yes I agree with you that the problem is going through my corporate network etc. This is why I am asking for somebody to tell me what mechanism the aircube uses to know that there is internet connected. Once I know this I will be able to troubleshoot the issue. Thank you.

Ubiquiti Employee

For the airCube, right now it is a simple ping to `ping.ubnt.com`. Probably the issue is a firewall dropping this ping.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Come on guys! Really? A ping? Most corporate firewalls block ICMP these days! Couldn't you use a dns resolve or an http request? And yes, our firewall does block ICMP so I am out of luck!

It would be nice if Ubiquity changes the ping request into something else instead.

How about a feature request for this one???

Thank you...

Ubiquiti Employee

This is under consideration. The discussion which arose from this thread lead to recognition that pinging is not a great indicator of connectivity, but we have a couple more pressing issues to concern the development with in the very short term future.

Keep an eye out for firmware updates and read the patch notes. It should address this connectivity check within a few versions.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Josh beat me to this one - message received guys, and as I mentioned in other threads as soon as we are done with the Wi-Fi authentication issue which should be very soon, we will be back on feature releases and I will post the current airCube roadmap.