Kudos: 7
Accepted Solution

Is bulk firmware update possible out of the box?

I have recevied 100 AirCube-ISP and am preparing them for deployment to our customers. The few that I have opened are on firmware version 1.0.2.7 right out of the box. Is there a way to just plug them all in a run a script to update them all automatically like I can with AirRouters?

From what I can tell there is no SSH access. After searching the forums I see that this is a highly requested feature that was not included in the "ISP" model.

I am unable to add the AirCube to UNMS right out of the box without updating the firmware first.

The UNMS app fails to connect to the AirCube on my Pixel2 phone. The default method seems to be to connect wirelessly, this causes my phone's wifi to toggle on and off several times and then gives an error about failing to connect. I can manually connect to the wifi but this is time consuming.

Unique passwords by default sounds like a great security feature for retail models. But it is highly ineffiecient when I can't add/adopt a box of 20 AirCubes at a time into UNMS until I login to each one with a unique password printed on the bottom lable. It feels like a huge step backward from plugging in a UAP and clicking adopt in the Unifi Controller.

Are there any solutions here? How does the factory configure large numbers of AirCubes? Can we use the same tool to bulk upgrade firmware too?

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1246
Solutions: 245

Re: Is bulk firmware update possible out of the box?

@KennySPITwSPOTS  Hello Kenneth. Regarding the Android UNMS mobile app, I can say that there is really a bug during the first login. Repeated logins are working fine. We will fix this issue in the next beta release of the android UNMS mobile app. From the viewpoint of the UNMS controller, everything should be fine. You need to connect the airCube to the WAN port where DHCP client is enabled by default. It is also necessary that the UNMS controller can see the airCube (you should be able to ping the device from the UNMS machine). If those conditions are met, you can use the UNMS device discovery and once the device is found, utilize the credentials from the device box to add it into the UNMS controller. After that, you can use the UNMS firmware manager to update the device.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

I plug our new air cubes into our office network and discover it in the app over the office wifi. Find the cube in discovery, open and scan the qr code for login credentials. Then, update firmware, wait for reboot and then factory reset once it’s done... that’s the most important step.

These cubes are in bridge mode from the factory and don’t have a DHCP server running, that’s why your phone gets mad. Once you factory reset after the update, it’s usable as it should be.

I got the UNMS Android app behaving a little better after reinstalling it. I still need to connect to the AirCube twice before it will let me upgrade the firmware. 

This is what my Pixel 2 shows me when I plug in two brand new AirCube-ISP. They are plugged into my office network switch so they are getting DHCP. My phone is connected to the office wifi. When I tap either of the AirCubes that are wireless, the Android app disconnects from the office wifi and opens the QR scanner.   

Spoiler
Screenshot_20181021-140124.png

I scan the QR code and my phone connects to the AirCube's wifi.

Spoiler
Screenshot_20181021-140141.png

It automatically accepts the EULA.

Spoiler
Screenshot_20181021-140149.png

And then it hangs at this screen: (Loading .  Reloading device configuration...)

Spoiler
Screenshot_20181021-140154.png

I let it "reload" for serveral minutes before tapping LOGOUT and trying again. On the second attempt it immediately logs into the AirCube and I am able to upgrade the firmware. I tried this on several AirCubes and it hangs on the first attempt everytime.

When I tap an AirCube with an IP address it takes me to a login screen where I can manually type in the username/password from the bottom sticker. On the Android app there is no option to scan the QR code. However the iOS version opens the QR scanner and will connect.

Spoiler
Screenshot_20181021-165509.png

There are other UI differences between the Android and iOS apps that is confusing. The iOS app seems much smoother and is able to access a brand new AirCube on the first try.

After further digging through the forums I found this post referencing a Global Discovery feature in UNMS. According to the post, UNMS will find and connect to devices right out of the box. Has this feature been implemented or is it still in development?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2101
Solutions: 325

@UBNT-Jindrich can you comment on these UNMS app behaviors?
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1246
Solutions: 245

@KennySPITwSPOTS  Hello Kenneth. Regarding the Android UNMS mobile app, I can say that there is really a bug during the first login. Repeated logins are working fine. We will fix this issue in the next beta release of the android UNMS mobile app. From the viewpoint of the UNMS controller, everything should be fine. You need to connect the airCube to the WAN port where DHCP client is enabled by default. It is also necessary that the UNMS controller can see the airCube (you should be able to ping the device from the UNMS machine). If those conditions are met, you can use the UNMS device discovery and once the device is found, utilize the credentials from the device box to add it into the UNMS controller. After that, you can use the UNMS firmware manager to update the device.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Highlighted

@UBNT-Radek Thanks for the clarification on the discovery manager needing to be on the same network. Unfortunately my UNMS server is not in the same building or on the same network as me. I will look into doing some magic with VLANs or a tunnel and see if I can get it to work.

I just signed up as a beta tester for the Android app and will look for the update.