Established Member
Kudos: 397
Solutions: 54

No SSH becoming an issue

We now have a number of aircube units installed at locations where the only convenient way to access them would be ssh.  In this case, the aircubes are behind a few routers that we may have ssh access to but tunneling is a pain for simple things such as rebooting the unit or looking up config file values.

Is there any chance that ssh access to aircubes is on the roadmap?

Thanks,

SeaKay Broadband
http://seakaybroadband.net
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2101
Solutions: 325

Re: No SSH becoming an issue

This is not on the roadmap at this time.
Established Member

That is unfortunate.

SeaKay Broadband
SuperUser
Kudos: 11289
Solutions: 693
Contributions: 1

This is what UNMS is designed to help with - have you checked it out?

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Established Member

Yes, I have an UNMS instance running managing all of the aircubes we have installed.   So far, only about 50.

The only problem UNMS has solved for me is creating an automatic backup of the config when a device is authorized (this is useful).  Outside of that, it has proven to be a tool of limited usefulness. If a device is nat'd behind another provider's connection it checks in to UNMS fine for  a while and then drops off the map, to never be managed again unless I send someone on-site to poke it.  Same thing with devices on our own network that may be behind a radio in router mode.  If someone resets an aircube it, requires a truck roll or them bringing the cube back into the office to be reconfigured.  There is no option 66 or similar to re-load a config. 

At this point aircubes are neat but also a liability.  A typical truck roll costs me ~$80 if we don't have to replace anything, one-way.  If the aircube had the ability to phone home to UNMS and pickup a new config I wouldn't be complaining.  At present we have a device with limited functionality/visibility "managed" by a NMS with limited ability. Give us one or the other.  The Mikrotik routers we otherwise deploy we can at least push a config to when they are reset.

Is it too much to ask for UBNT to help us WISPs help ourselves by allowing us to fix things ourselves while they figure out whatever direction they are going with the management software?  As one that has enjoyed using AC1 and then AC2, I was a bit stunned at how lacking UNMS is - seems like it has been designed by someone with zero knowledge of the WISP industry. I've fussed with it for months now, and it still isn't useful. AC1 was already a more useful tool than UNMS (could schedule updates and send notifications) and still is. AC2 is getting close to the ultimate tool except for the java element.   Now UBNT seems to want to abandon it. 

I bring this all up as a small wisp - useful management tools make a huge difference in how our businesses can scale.  The tools are almost as important as the radios; at least in my business. 

SeaKay Broadband
Ubiquiti Employee

UNMS is our direction for WISP network management software.
Established Member

Cool. It has a tremendous way  to go, but I do hope that it gets there.

SeaKay Broadband
Ubiquiti Employee

It's being actively developed, and I think it will keep getting better.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 828
Solutions: 23

if all you do is install client routers I would Highly Recommend the AmpliFi Line always use the same google account when setting up the routers on your Mobile Device 

this will give you full control over all clients routers from your phone and all the tunneling is all automatic

for SSH you will want the UniFi Line

AirCubes seem to be devoted to iSP's with not much networking knowledge so I really don't see SSH coming to it any time soon