Highlighted

Outbuilding expansion - Is this possible with airCube

Hi,

I am trying to help a friend figure out the best way to add WiFi to a new outbuilding.  I love Ubiquiti equipment and would like to figure out the best set of devices to do what he needs.

He has a small ranch style home with an existing Internet modem/router provided by the ISP.  The built-in WiFi of the modem/router was providing poor WiFi, so he added another WiFi device.  I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if it's an access point, or another WiFi router.  But this improved the WiFi coverage in the house.

He is now adding an outbuilding at some distance from the home (I don't know the exact distance, but he has a few acres).  I have experience with NanoStations for bridging, and UniFi for APs.  But I recently saw the airCube and wondered if it would be possible to replace the add-on WiFi device in the house with an airCube AC or ISP working as an AP in the house.  Then connect the airCube to a NanoStation 5AC Loco (or LocoM2) on the house.  Bridge to the outbuilding with another NanoStation 5AC Loco (or LocoM2), then connect that to an airCube ISP inside the outbuilding.

Would this work?  Does someone have another idea for a better way to do it, while staying within a small budget?

Thanks!

Kudos: 188
Solutions: 19

Re: Outbuilding expansion - Is this possible with airCube

The AirCubes do POE passthrough, and they have an AP bridge mode where you can disable the NAT and make them just a wifi AP. Based on the info you gave, this setup shouldnt be an issue. And you can manage the aircubes/monitor them from UNMS.

Thanks for the repsonse!

So would I be able to use airCube ISP models at both sides?  Or would I need airCube AC units at one or both ends?  It's hard to figure out if there's a difference in the "capabilities" of the two different units other than the differences in radios and ports.

Thanks again!

Established Member
Kudos: 204
Solutions: 8

Hi,

You can use either acb-isp or acb-ac...ac being what we use.  Put both 5ac radios in bridge mode to form the ethernet link between the buildings (no obstructions, right?) and the outbuilding's cube in ap-bridge, too.  use a different frequency on this cube than the building link uses, and the inside/main cube setup as router with dhcp or bridge, depending on the network needs.

There's more, but that is the gist of it.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."

Awesome!  Thanks for the confirmation and the setup to use.

Have a great weekend!

Established Member
Kudos: 204
Solutions: 8

Hi,

No problem.

Remember....there's always the solution, or kudo buttons...  Smiley Very Happy

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."