Kudos: 1

Power supply for airCube ISP

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am considering obtaining an airCube ISP for the office needs. Since the net is slow there, there's no point getting the more powerful airCube AC version.

So as everyone knows, airCube ISP comes without the PSU. I don't have POE there nor want to mess with it much, honestly.

I thought about obtaining the Ubiquiti 5V POE adapter, cutting the POE end and soldering a micro USB male connector. I do have a multimeter, I am fine with soldering iron, etc...

Question:  is this a good idea? Is this adapter suitable to power the airCube ISP when made to be with micro USB connector?

Ubiquiti 5V POE adapter costs around 3 Euros at official local supplier, whereas any other generic 5 Volts power supply with factory micro USB connector at local radio components store starts from 7 Euros and up.

Thanks!

POE%20Injector

Kudos: 798
Solutions: 193

Re: Power supply for airCube ISP

Sure, you probably could.

It's just a standard phone charger, they should be plentiful and cheap.

I saw some of them are listed as "stabilized power supply" that's what lead me to a confusion...

Kudos: 798
Solutions: 193

A normal one should be fine, i'd probably look for the higher amperage ones, 1.5+ amp.

I will order the above POE one from Ubiquity and just make the connector and be done with that.

I'd better trust the reliable brand than do some gamble.

Thanks!

Kudos: 22
Solutions: 2

What about ordering one of the 24volt PoE injectors and using an ethernet cable? You can still use the port from the PoE injector, you're not losing anything. They are plentiful and cheap too.

Kudos: 2

Hello everyone...

I bought an airCube-ISP and i have never managed to power supply it with USB in order to fully take advantage of the 4 ports as switch ports.

The USB power mentioned on the manual is 5V, 2Amps. Looks like airCube keeps rebooting everytime using a USB adapter in that Amps. After many resets and retries, i managed to get it worked by powering it with Nanostation Loco M5 via "In Port". The PoE of the NSLM5 is 24V, 0,5Amps.

Via this solution you may win some free AC ports on the Rack PDU, but you lose Ports on airCube and in some cases that means that you don't need to use an extra 5 port switch to connect one more device.

Also the WiFi setup of the device is a liitle bit tricky if you change the default Router mode to Bridge Mode.

And the last one. What about PoE Passthrough option? If disabled can the WAN port work as normal switch port?

Any advices will be helpfull

Regards

Evangelos V.

IMG_7584.JPGairCube-ISP PoE Powered

Long story short, I ordered airCube ISP + Ubiquity 5V 2A power adapter (designed for some other devices). I am planning on cutting its conenctor and soldering a micro-USB one to power up the device. Now reading your experience makes me worry I didn't go with PoE option... Still haven't tried my setup (haven't even unboxed the aircube yet, been very busy these days) it may work fine. A friend of mine told me that sometimes, during thunderstorm, PoE powered Ubiquity devices either hang up or underperform. He is working as a netadmin at local university. Since I wanted maximum reliability and there was no real need to PoE (saving space, etc), that's why I decided I'll go with external power supply. Will report back on how my setup works.

Hello @hid3

I'm waiting to see your updates....

Best of luck.

Ragards.

Still awaiting for my micro-USB connectors to arrive...

Meanwhile I've noticed on the buttom of the cube sticker printed such information:

5V 1A  or 24V 0.83A

So really wonder how 5V 2A PSU can be too weak whereas in fact this device requires 1A @ 5V?

Maybe it's an error there?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 962
Solutions: 222

@hid3

It means real 5V @1A.... most of supplies out there either can't hold 1A or drop below 4.95V which is minimum voltage for stable operation.
For a smartphone it isn't much of an issue because there's a battery which keeps it running.
===================================================
We all work for KUDOs here.
Thx

I really hope that Ubiquity AirGrid PEO 5V/2A adapter is the real one, designed to perform its functions as per specification Man Happy

Fingers crossed, hope it works fine...

Will report back

Dear @hid3...

As i mentioned in my previous post, i use the airCube with Nanostation's PoE 24V-0,5Amps so there is not any problem...

Waiting for experiences....

As promised, I'm keeping you updated.

Looks like my package with the micro-USB connectors got lost somewhere in the long transit Man Sad

Ordered another one, so most likely will need to wait several weeks before they reach me.

Next time I really hope I'll be updating with something useful Man Happy

Funny enough, a few days ago all three batches of the micro-USB connectors have arrived.

So now I have 30 of them, minus one used for the airCube PSU (see photo in 1st post).

Soldering is a bit tricky, since the wires are thick and the pins on the connector are tiny. You need to have soldering skills "above beginner" to do that properly.

Anyway, so far so good, it works stable at this point. I am still configuring/testing the device so I didn't notice any unusual lockups/reboots/etc.