Veteran Member
Kudos: 785
Solutions: 23

QOS for AirCube When?

you guys EOL Airgateway then didn't give us the same features 

So we have a use case at relay sites where we have to traffic shape at the router and was simple with the Airgateway

but now the AirCube it is missing this

Are we ever going to get traffic shaping back?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 174
Solutions: 42

Re: QOS for AirCube When?

We currently have no ETA for this feature, but it planned according to the features roadmap sticky thread posted in this forum.

Follow the airMAX Updates Blog to track releases as they come.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-Updates-Blog/bg-p/Blog_airMAX

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 107
Solutions: 1

@UBNT-JoshMcGee You need to be more precise with your ETA! The initial roadmap actually said that QoS would be in the least firmware....but it wasn't! 

If you want WISPs and other people to use these units you need to be open and upfront about when features are coming. We took a gamble by using these for new customer connections, as the roadmap showed the features were coming - but they are still to appear!! 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2009
Solutions: 306

We are working on an updated roadmap which should address these concerns.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

90% of home routers have QoS as a feature. In an age of YouTube and various streaming services, this feature is essential -- especially with WISPS where our customers's bandwidth can easily be hogged up by one YouTubing device.  

Any rough ETA for QoS would be helpful. I need to know whether to tell my customers to buy a Linksys router, or to bare with us and the AirCubes.

Ubiquiti Employee

I'm afraid at the moment I cannot give an ETA as we are still working on the roadmap.

@UBNT-SNK Do you have an ETA on when the roadmap might be complete. It is very frustrating to be still waiting on an update on the roadmap. I liked the AirCubes when they first came out but I am disliking them more and more each day...

Ubiquiti Employee

@wireless6262 I am working with the development team to get this out - my target is in the next couple of weeks. My apologies for the delay.
Emerging Member

I love Ubiquiti products. I love your radios and I loved the AirRouterHPs. Our network almost exclusively exists on Uibiquiti products. What bothers me is that, more and more, I'm having to tell customers to buy literally any other router so that they have access to QoS. This hurts our business directly, and hurts your indirectly as we're being forced to deploy less AirCubes. Moreover, we cannot officially support third-party routers that do have QoS, so our customers are in a pickle and we're in a pickle.

You're on it, as made evident by your last post, so I get it. But I really hope you understand that QoS is a basic functionality for routers and to not have that on AirCubes is a headscratcher to say the least. And it's putting small ISPs in a really tough spot by not having access to Ubiquiti routers that can regulate bandwidth. I don't know why AirRouters were EOLd but I hope whoever made that decision understands what a poor decision that was when considering how many bugs/how little features are on the AirCube.

I can only echo @Xiervak's comments - summed up perfectly! 

Ubiquiti Employee

Guys, message received. I am aware of the demand for this feature. We are increasing the developers allocated to this product, and as soon as I can share more info on the release plans, hopefully soon, then I will.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 16

I realize the developers are in a handicapped position.  However, I reflect on to prior the airCube was even released in the Beta Store, that a fork of airOS 8, would have made it easier for development while servicing the baseline needs of the WISPs.  I also recall that two people on these forums constantly re-iterated that airOS would be over-kill.  That said, AirRouters are EOL, airCube is not ready for deployment (QoS among other features essential for network management), there is no time line of when stability for that new feature set would be reached, and the development team is under-staffed.

airCube is a great little concept of a kit; however it also needs to know where it fits in.  To create a separate code-base to me is just foolish, from a development and maintenance perspective, especially given the cost of the unit, target market and therein revenue stream in.  Despite it being targeted for WISPs, I wish it had 48V PoE, as passive 24V with customers plugging and unplugging cables for their devices, and not really knowing what or which is which, is a frightening prospect.

Established Member
Kudos: 536
Solutions: 48

This should be fairly easy:  Make the airCube have the same features as AirRouter and AirGateway, then add to that.  Not sure why we dont just get AirOS8 on these things and make it easy, that way we get everything that EVERYONE seems to want.  Including SSH and AirControl AND UNMS. Why make it so hard?

WISP Since 2001 | UniFi Sites >200 | UniFi Video Sites >25
Veteran Member
Kudos: 785
Solutions: 23

start making AirRouters again with a POE passthrough 

Problem solved 

@UBNT-SNK Any news on this updated Roadmap - almost another month passed with no further updates. 

Ubiquiti Employee

I am intending to get this up within the next week.
SuperUser
Kudos: 11109
Solutions: 686
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

@wyopno wrote:

This should be fairly easy:  Make the airCube have the same features as AirRouter and AirGateway, then add to that.  Not sure why we dont just get AirOS8 on these things and make it easy, that way we get everything that EVERYONE seems to want.  Including SSH and AirControl AND UNMS. Why make it so hard?

Really?   Just soooo easy....  ;-)

These things happen usually due to the SoC chipsets becoming EoL, not because the vendor wants to have to build a new platform.   If UBNT can't get the chips to build more AirRouters, then there's no way to build them.   And continuing to use old platforms will garner other complaints.   You have to realize that it's not as simple as you think, otherwise everyone would be doing this at UBNT's level.   UBNT can't just order up whatever they want - it has to be available first.   And if they have to switch vendors, that means even more work, and often it really does make sense to just start development from scratch.

So give them a break please - they are ramping this up as fast as they can, given all the other things UBNT is developing right now.   It's never as fast or as feature-complete as everyone wants, I know.   But understand they're not doing this to cause problems - and they could have waited and not said anything about the AirCubes untill 2019 when more things will be done, and I know a lot of ISPs who would have been very unhappy with that tack as well since they've been using them in production for almost a year now...   

The ACB platform will get there.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Established Member
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 8

Hi @eejimm,

Being an IEEE (electronics Engineer), no SOC comes without SSH...this would be my argument to UBNT putting the Cube out this way.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Established Member
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 8

Further....SoC for Linus variation implementation...

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Emerging Member

Any update here?